UHP is a PITA....

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
OK, so I got pulled over by a Utah Highway Patrol cop and got a 'Unsafe Vehicle' Ticket. The Cop says, among many other things, that I need to have a FACTORY BUMPER. This is on my '85 Toyota P/U, which has a 2x3 Square Tube bumper that I built. Now I have been told that half of the Toy p/u's sold in the 80's didn't even have a rear bumper, (so I have MORE that what it came with.) Does anyone know if this is correct and where I can find it, to show them and be free of the UHP's hassle??:rolleyes:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
WTF do they want you to do?? tape some beer cans together and glue it on your tailgate like most cars that come out today??!! that is some stupid crap!!!

Greg

Admin
They tell me I need to have a Factory Bumper.........well the factory offered their base models to be sold w/o a rear bumper, from what I have heard. I just need solid proof.....

UHP is aka'UHP YOURS'

Caleb

Yep you need solid proof...thats like CJs going doorless...doors were actually sold as an option and was proven with a sales brochure for 197?...but along the lines of bumpers...it is in the law book that the bumper needs to be x number of inches away from the body but nothing specifying what the bumper can be made of(or look like)...this is all based on Jeeps but I am sure it crosses over to toys...goodluck and I agree its a bunch of bull$hit

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
um am I an athority here? No pun.... The bumper HAS to be there regardless of weither or not it came from the factory that way. It HAS to go from the center of tire tread to center of tire tread. It HAS to be "securly mounted". Other than that tell them to fu@k them selves. I have the 1998? UHP Inspection book if you want. I run no doors and no roof. Tell that to the cop.
There is no utah state law AGAINST it. I got a FEDERAL law thrown at me. Thats where the no doors comes from is FEDERAL. Been playing the I do what I want and Utah can eat me for about 3 years now..... CALL MY BLUFF. :) good day sir

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
sky please help us locate proper copies to carry with us at all times. i run sans doors and i have only ever been told to have mirrors. since the mirrors on zuks are on the doors, i will have to get some on the body until then i know i am illegal though. but please help us track down proper forms or whatever you are talking about......basically i am calling your bluff??!!;)

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I have the book. You can go to many coloege book stores and ask if they have it. I got mine from SLCC. Yes the mirrors have to be there. one outside and a center. I could get my book and scan it but I don't have it with me. I did basically memorize it though. If you carrie it with you the UHP or WVC PD guys get REALLY irritated with you and will bust you for anything they can or worce will impound the vehicle. Just say yes sir and I'm sorry sir I'm an idiot... then go to the judge and tell your story WITH THE STATS. I have gotten away with it almost every time. I got a mudflap ticket to stick. It isn't a moveing violation though. It doesn't count on insurance. Just more $$ twards the cause....
Speeking of fun..It's allmost convertible season again.
Got a SLC PD guy tell me once...." I wouldn't want my wife to run into you" I said "no shit" Then he told me I was "aching to get my truck impounded" then i taught him the new lift laws.... FUN HOUR :rolleyes:

controlfreak

Greg, read section 41-6-148.33 of the Utah Criminal and Traffic Code. You won't find "factory" in the code. The bumper has to be 4.5" in vertical height. This is the only problem I see with yours. If the vehicle did not come from the factory with a rear bumper it is not required.

Greg

Admin
Yeah, I just came across a copy of that. I had the thought that I could just take mine homemade Bumper off, buy I took the Sawsall to my Roll Pan and its just bare frame, so they would probably freak out if I went in with it like that. I will probably have to get a totally stock rear bumper for it and make them happy.

Anyone heard of a Quick Disconnect Rear Bumper?? :D :eek:

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
did the cop give you a "fix it" ticket? Quit being a woosy and go tell the judge that you think that the ticket is stupid and you have a VERY solid bumper. If the judge disagrees with you he will make you get the stocker. I have NEVER heard of factory bumper issues... I'm done for now but I call B.S.

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by controlfreak
Maybe just add another piece of 2X2 or something to thicken the overall height to 4.5". It would reduce your departure angle but be legal.

Thats exactally what I am going to try. I may even cut 1/2" off the piece of 2x2 and make it EXACTALLY 4.5", just to piss them off. Have it be ALMOST illegal, but still within code. Plus, I would have room to make a Spare Tire carrier..... :D

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by Skyetone
did the cop give you a "fix it" ticket? Quit being a woosy and go tell the judge that you think that the ticket is stupid and you have a VERY solid bumper. If the judge disagrees with you he will make you get the stocker. I have NEVER heard of factory bumper issues... I'm done for now but I call B.S.

Its NOT a Fix It ticket. The cop was an prick and told me to park the truck there and TRAILER IT HOME!! "Its too dangerous to be on the road......" BS!!