Utah Backcountry Discovery Route

GAR

This sounds like an epic adventure! I can't say right now but I'd love to go. You're riding to medicine hat and riding home, right? It would probably take a whole day on both ends, atleast for me. Are you doing this with a group, or just decided to do it on your own?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I'd be interested in running at least part of it in the truck. Early october would be best for me, but don't change the plans just for me.

I'm thinking the first week of September, Labor Day is that Monday. Ideally, I would like to start Aug 31st and plan on being home by Sept 8th.

I think it would be easier to keep bikes & 4x4's separate for this trip, bikes can travel so much quicker in a situation like this. It would be fun to make the entire drive in 4x4's though.

This sounds like an epic adventure! I can't say right now but I'd love to go. You're riding to medicine hat and riding home, right? It would probably take a whole day on both ends, atleast for me. Are you doing this with a group, or just decided to do it on your own?

I could ride it either direction, doesn't matter to me. I agree with taking a day before and after the ride just to get to & from the start and finish. I want to do it, but don't have any solid plans yet. If I can drum up some interest, I would want to keep the group to 5 or less, but 3 at a minimum. I have a few local friends I may ask and see if they're game, then probably toss out an invite on ADVRider.com if I can't put together a group of buddies.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
If I had a bike capable I would be all over this! I just don't think the yz250 is the right bike for the job :-\

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
If I had a bike capable I would be all over this! I just don't think the yz250 is the right bike for the job :-\

Yeah, I don't think you'll be able to pack camping gear, additional fuel and stay comfortable on a YZ250... :D

Cool, no problem. I'm @ the Rubicon that weekend anyway, so it wouldn't work out. I was thinking the 4x4s could serve as support vehicles, but it sounds like you won't even need them for this trip.

I'd prefer to do an unsupported trip anyhow, sounds more adventurous and that's the point, isn't it?!

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
If nothing else... I would love to meet up with you guys midway and do the last 2-3 days of the ride. Looks sweet!

Jared

EDIT - I suppose I should say the NORTHERN 2-3 days of the ride.

Last edited:

GAR

I'd prefer to do an unsupported trip anyhow, sounds more adventurous and that's the point, isn't it?!

Exactly! Nothing bad could possibly happen on a ride like this anyway;)

I've been wondering how my 525exc would do on a trip like this, longetivity, reliability, oil changes, etc.
...And then I found this guy:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712492

Compared to that a quick trip across Utah is nothin!
My motor has 60 hours (45 from me) since a fresh rebuild. It has had zero issues, except a broken hose clamp on the trail, it starts right up every time and runs great. It does use a little oil so I would cary a quart and check it regularly.

I would need to figure out the luggage thing. I'm thinking about making a new subframe out of steel and then making brackets for luggage. This would be pretty easy for me to do. Not sure what kind of setup for luggage though. Hard bags or soft? I would need a place for extra fuel too.
So, I'm getting pretty excited about this! I watched the Utah back country discovery route trailer with my wife to try and show her how awesome this would be. I told her if she wants to go I'd have to get a bigger bike, so that's not going to happen