Utah Motorcycle Off-Road Racing Association

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
For my racing friends on this board.......there is a new game in town. This past March I had somebody from another club reach out to me about some of their frustrations with the current organization. I gave my thoughts and we pulled a few people together from some other clubs in the state and put together a vision for an organization that is focused on promoting the sport and the clubs that put their blood sweat and tears into it. We wanted an organization that has a culture of what can we do to make racing better, and not a culture of we have always done it this way. We still are finalizing a bunch of details so there are some things I can say for sure and some things I can't fully answer. I have a bunch of stickers, so let me know your address and I will mail you one to sport.UMORA_Final.png

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Followed on FB and IG this morning. Super excited. Would love to have more details about what style racing (enduro, hare scramble, etc), number of races each year expected, and whos in charge. Also, will the details of finances and payments be publicly available?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Followed on FB and IG this morning. Super excited. Would love to have more details about what style racing (enduro, hare scramble, etc), number of races each year expected, and whos in charge. Also, will the details of finances and payments be publicly available?
The racing is going to be what you would already experience in the state. Hare & Hound, Grand Prix, Enduro, Hare Scramble. Right now we have a solid 8 races but think we will be around 10. The organization is set up as a 501 c4 so there will be full disclosures on 990's available as well as quarterly treasurer reports. One major thing is that all money spent by the organization will be approved and not just dictated by a few people.

A little more details on some of the structure. Instead of it being a representation of clubs, we will be set up like your typical board structure. You do not have to be a member of a club to be a member of the board. You just need to be enthusiastic about the sport and helping it grow. In the next couple of weeks I will be requesting for people who would like to be on the board of directors. We may finalize to have a board position available for each participating club plus 4-5 at large positions.....but those decisions will be finalized soon. As far as current leadership, I will be the President to get it started, Kerry Lynn will be the Vice President and Dave McCuen will be the treasurer. We will do 2 year terms of the executive board and the VP will automatically move into the President. I have proposed to have 2nd VP position that would then move into the VP position when the VP moves up. If that is the direction we go then I will be asking for a 2nd VP and also looking for a Secretary position to be filled.

85CUCVKRAWLER

Im interested. I passed a race this weekend outside delta and i had no idea it was going on. I follow sage riders MC and nothing was posted?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm stoked for this. I have tried to never complain about people who volunteer and allow me to chase my childhood dream of racing dirt bikes. That said, there is definitely a difference in how some races work vs others. You are a stud for pushing this Paul. I can't think of a better president.
I think 10 races is a perfect season. Stoked to see what the classes are as I've decided to move up to the big boy class next year. I'll hold off on ordering numbers 😁

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I'm stoked for this. I have tried to never complain about people who volunteer and allow me to chase my childhood dream of racing dirt bikes. That said, there is definitely a difference in how some races work vs others. You are a stud for pushing this Paul. I can't think of a better president.
I think 10 races is a perfect season. Stoked to see what the classes are as I've decided to move up to the big boy class next year. I'll hold off on ordering numbers 😁
Hoping that numbers are similar so I can run same plates in both Utah series. I'm aiming for a jacket next year.
The class structure will have a few differences but the numbering will be pretty much the same. The age classes and bike size classes pretty much use the same lettering system and color schemes. The AMA class structure breaks down the age classes into 10 year increments and that is what we will follow. Therefore there will only be 30+, 40+, 50+ etc. One reason for this is the fact that many classes only have a few riders and sometimes not any. This becomes a significant expenses for clubs when they are buying trophies for classes with very few riders.

Our biggest decisions right now center on what to do about the mini classes since the AMA class structure is quite different. They separate by bike/wheel size and age not skill level like the USRA. Both have their merits, but we need to go one way or the other. I am getting ready to jump on a zoom call tonight to hammer out that particular decision.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Our biggest decisions right now center on what to do about the mini classes since the AMA class structure is quite different. They separate by bike/wheel size and age not skill level like the USRA. Both have their merits, but we need to go one way or the other. I am getting ready to jump on a zoom call tonight to hammer out that particular decision.

If I had a vote, it would be classes based on skill level, not bike/wheel size. I think it would be hard to start a olderish kid as a newbie on some of the courses the bike size requirements put them on.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If I had a vote, it would be classes based on skill level, not bike/wheel size. I think it would be hard to start a olderish kid as a newbie on some of the courses the bike size requirements put them on.
I don't fully understand what your are meaning here. When it comes to minis, they ride on the same course whether they are racing in a class based on skill level or bike size. This is the mini class structure for NHHA
A kid will usually start on a smaller wheeled mini and move up to a big wheel supermini. Regardless if you had a new rider at 14 years old on a 85cc or a supermini they ride the same course. A new 13 year old rider on a supermini obviously will be racing against more experienced riders, but that would be the same case in the 85 cc class. Using the experience class structure, they would be racing in the C class against racers who came off a 65 with experience. There are so many different ways to look at it, and there is no correct answer to it since every parent will look at if differently.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I'm annoyed USRA decided to do their Banquet the night before the UMORA Mesquite race. I was planning to race. But since I'm on the podium
for the season; I'm going to miss the race.
I’m not surprised they did it. Isn’t it on the same day as the race?