Utah Motorcycle Safety Course

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'd like to hear from those of you who have completed this course, which school you attended, and if you would recommend that school. I'm looking at the basic course.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Well worth the cost, I went through it with the wife when she got her first Harley. The classroom portion was held at SLCC, on Redwood Road. The driving portion was held at Granger High on thier driving course. That area no longer exsists, so I'm not sure where they are offering the driving part now.

One of the benefits of the course is you will pass the driving test while attending the class, then just have to go to the state offices to take the written exam.

sabatoa1

I took the course through Motor Cycle Safty foundation at Dugway. It was a manditory class for me because you cant drive on base without it. I think the class was pretty good for an experienced rider, but great for a beginner. I would take it through SLCC because it is the cheapest, and they all teach the same class.

blznnp

Well worth the cost, I went through it with the wife when she got her first Harley. The classroom portion was held at SLCC, on Redwood Road. The driving portion was held at Granger High on thier driving course. That area no longer exsists, so I'm not sure where they are offering the driving part now.

One of the benefits of the course is you will pass the driving test while attending the class, then just have to go to the state offices to take the written exam.
they keep their motorcycle trailers at SLCC in the parking lot, wonder if they do the driving there now. i have wanted to take a course for a long time, might have to just sign up for the SLCC one since i am there for school now.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
they keep their motorcycle trailers at SLCC in the parking lot, wonder if they do the driving there now. i have wanted to take a course for a long time, might have to just sign up for the SLCC one since i am there for school now.

last summer when I was taking a class as SLCC redwood they would set up one of the parking lots for the driving course so I would assume they are still doing it there. My wife is planning on taking it this summer as well.

blznnp

last summer when I was taking a class as SLCC redwood they would set up one of the parking lots for the driving course so I would assume they are still doing it there. My wife is planning on taking it this summer as well.
do they supply bikes or do you have to bring your own?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
All of the schools supply the bikes. They are only 250cc though, so you have to arrange a separate test if you want to qualify for larger bikes.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I took the course in Ogden, the riding portion was at the Newgate Mall and the classroom portion was at a Motel 6 can't remember which one. I would stongly recommend taking one of these courses to anyone. These courses were not designed around Utah but for the entire country and there is a lot to be learned even by someone who has been riding for a while.

Caleb

All of the schools supply the bikes. They are only 250cc though, so you have to arrange a separate test if you want to qualify for larger bikes.

Yep, they all supply their own bikes. Personally I would use their bikes, they are very easy to handle and if you drop it, it's not your bike you're scuffing up :D I took the course through SLCC, at their West Jordan campus. If you drive by, you can see their trailers with the bikes in them in the parking lot. They do just setup the parking lot for the course. No matter how you do it, it equates to 8 hours of driving time and 8 hours of class time. Most of the time it's spread out over a couple weekends, although I did one of their crash courses and did it on a Saturday/Sunday 8 hours each day. The one benefit to testing with a larger bike is you can do it right after you test on the smaller bikes. Everything they will be looking for, etc will be fresh on your mind. If you want to test on a larger bike, you have to A) take the smaller bike test first, and B) supply your own 650cc+ bike (with title showing it's 650cc or larger).