Utah owning more of its state. I think this could be good? Bad?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
1724196617969.png

And then he says they want this so they can exercise eminent domain for "infrastructure, transportation and telecommunications". And he says they want property tax income - how are these lands going to generate property tax income without being sold to developers first?

Naw. I'm no fan of the BLM, but I don't trust public lands in the hands of the state at all. Our politicians are ALL either property developers or owned lock stock and barrel by property developers. The BLM may restrict access, but at least it's still public property. The state hasn't ever seen an acre of land that they don't wanna wring every ounce of income out of.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Very mixed for me also. COULD we run it way better, YES! WOULD we run it better, Maybe? I'd rather have the current issues over a state like texas where everything is private property that is always pay to play (Area BFE for example)

Houndoc

My biggest concerns are :
1) There are many developers in the legislature.
2) Super majority rule means it will be very hard to have multiple sides of an issues presented and honestly discussed.

Land use needs to be a careful balance of access, extraction, environment protection and economic concerns.

Obviously with federal management no one is happy with how these are balanced (which may indicate a reasonable middle ground).

But with one party dominating the state legislature, it will be nearly impossible to get all aspects considered.

02SE

I've been following dirt road closures around the West since the early 90's.

It's ALWAYS liberal elitists who want to limit access to everyone who isn't able to spend days or weeks hiking to see some areas of public lands. Have a physical disability? Too bad. You can't drive that road that's been there for over 150 years, because since it's not pavement, we consider it Wilderness...

This effort by the State of Utah, sounds like a positive thing for those of us who want to be able to continue to drive on dirt roads on public land.

DAA

Supporting Member
I just don't see the state taking on actual administration of public land. Where would that money come from? It wouldn't be trivial.

I think it would be all about making money off that land. Not spending money to keep it public.

I have zero confidence in our state government to do anything except make as much money as possible from it. This state has always followed the Golden Rule. Which is he who has the gold makes the rules.

- DAA

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
those of us who want to be able to continue to drive on dirt roads on public land.
DAA's right. They wouldn't BE public, anymore.

The state's PR machine is talking a big game about reopening roads and whatnot, but that's all smoke and mirrors. Plenty of them have said the quiet part out loud - the state wants money. Public lands don't make money. The state will either restrict access and charge admission, or sell it off to private owners (who will restrict access).

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just don't see the state taking on actual administration of public land. Where would that money come from? It wouldn't be trivial.

I think it would be all about making money off that land. Not spending money to keep it public.

I have zero confidence in our state government to do anything except make as much money as possible from it. This state has always followed the Golden Rule. Which is he who has the gold makes the rules.

- DAA

Dave outlines what I think would happen if the state takes over. Check out any of the State Parks. I think that will be the "model". We'll be using BRC to maintain primitive access like we currently have (maybe that's better? maybe not?)

Welcome to:
State of Utah Pritchett Canyon route ($15 fee)
State of Utah Temple Mountain Wash ($25 fee). This includes improved campgrounds with overnight charges per campsite

02SE

DAA's right. They wouldn't BE public, anymore.

The state's PR machine is talking a big game about reopening roads and whatnot, but that's all smoke and mirrors. Plenty of them have said the quiet part out loud - the state wants money. Public lands don't make money. The state will either restrict access and charge admission, or sell it off to private owners (who will restrict access).

OTOH, if we get Kammunism in November, I can see her creating her 'legacy' by creating new monuments under the antiquities act. Or just issue an edict by Executive Order, eliminating ALL motorized travel on 'Public Land'.

Last edited:

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
So I just read BRC's statement that they just emailed out detailing their stance on this. And it left me with conflicted feelings. Before I felt much as everyone has said already, that Utah would use this as a cash grab and be worse than even the BLM.
But BRC made a good point of basically saying that it'll be much easier to fight for access in an Utah court than it is in DC. As well as the fact the BRC and the State of Utah are already working together on multiple lawsuits together against DC and feel they have a good relationship.

Maybe I read and/or interpreted their stance wrong, but basically, before I was more pro leave it in the BLM hands. But now I'm more in the middle and don't necessarily think it's the worst thing if Utah had control of it all.