Activity Virtual Easter Jeep Safari 2020 on RME!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Since EJS 2020 is cancelled, lets have a virtual EJS here on RME! Post up your favorite EJS pics, vids, stories and other Jeep Safari related events and lets have our own EJS from home! It doesn't have to be from last year's event, but preferably EJS related.

Here's a start... last year one of the runs I was lucky enough to attend was the Kane Creek trip hosted by Warn & BFGoodrich. It was a pretty good sized group, but I was able to run with some good friends and hangout with industry folks, which was awesome. @Hickey & his lovely wife Lory were there, plus Andy & Mercedes Lilienthal (Andy works for Warn, Mercedes does freelance photography) , John Williams from @Impulse Off Road was there in his race JK. I also got to hang out with Jessi Combs (RIP Jessi!) and so many others. The run was challenging in my JKU on 35's, but so much fun!

i-gf7JrKL-X2.jpg

i-xdFLQmd-X2.jpg

i-d6frC7t-X2.jpg

i-KXxC6f8-X2.jpg

i-4SD5r9N-X2.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
At last years EJS, I was also part of the FFFFR.... or the Flat Fender Friday Fun Run. It's an unofficial gathering of Flat Fender friends that meet and head out with a destination that only the trail leader knows. We ended up running up Fins N Things, then Porcupine Rim trail and into the La Sal mountains, searching for snow. Most of the Flatty's in the group are close to stock and when you have a group of 50+, 70+ year old vehicles, there are bound to be issues... mine included. I had vapor lock issues that I've never had before, as did several other Flattys. It was hot out, we were moving slow due to the group size and spend quite a bit of time with hoods up. But still... one of the FUNNEST trial runs I've ever been on. It KILLS me that I'll be missing the FFFFR this year!

i-ZkpM6ZM-X2.jpg

i-RM772RH-X2.jpg

i-tVvkNPS-X2.jpg

i-TLnpwv5-X2.jpg

i-hpNJtrT-X2.jpg

i-jCjwvqp-X2.jpg

i-6qLGPPH-X2.jpg

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
My trip report from 2014:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
IMG_0788.JPG

Kind of an interesting situation on Hells in 2014. I had just gotten a hell of bump on my head at Hells gate when I slipped climbing into my Jeep due to the moisture. Whacked my head pretty good on my cage.

IMG_0872.JPG

As our kids grow up, we learn that they want to drive also. I've got my now 23 year old driving the "Jeep" on Kane Creek on a down day from RR4W. This was before Kane was turned into what it is now. Some days I miss the JKU, others I'm pretty happy I snagged the G8 (those $ are now my F350). I still like the *idea* of a JLU/JKU but haven't been impressed enough with Chrysler electronics and nanny systems to want to try another. At the moment, I think I'll stick to my old F350, ratty old Jeep (unless I swap to an LJ) and buy a fun car to drive rather than daily the F350.

2013 EJS we had a LARGE group of folks from Australia with us. They were pretty awesome. If I remember right they were spending about a month stateside and EJS was just a stop but a "bucket list" item for some of them. Group was about 15-18 folks if I remember correctly.

HR-1Aussie.JPG

They all used rented Cliffhanger Jeeps and put the Aussie flag on them. Really cool folks

HR-2.JPG

Lyndsay was gifted a koala bear from one of the ladies in the group.
HR-3.JPG

A little Elephant Hill below. That's a ways from Moab but worth the trip. My kids LOVE the trail but aren't the biggest fan of the commute to it.
EH-CWestrich2.jpg

Jeep was with us with the mog axled JKU in tan.
EH-8.JPG

EH-CWestrich5.jpg

Things got a little sketch for them in the squeeze area. I encouraged him to back a bit and turn driver to save his top. He was pretty grateful. The Jeep folks I've run into have been pretty cool. I don't think the guys driving this rig had been in low range much at all before? Enginerd types but good guys nonetheless

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Here's a couple of pics of why I'm sometimes not a fan of EJS.

2010_3_31%20057.jpg

2010_3_31%20059.jpg

Notice the strap on the back of EVERY rig. I do understand why the trail lead suggested that. He REQUIRED everyone to use it. I'd hope if you signed up for this trail White Knuckle Hill was one of the reasons you did? Other than White Knuckle, we had a good day on that trail. I may have done similar as a trail official (depending on the rigs in the group) but usually I just ASK or SUGGEST a strap like above if we have a sketchy spot and underbuilt rigs or inexperienced drivers. Good trail leaders can make a big difference whether I'm an official or a participant. One thing I'm glad I have done as an official is be open to doing other trails than you're used to. We had some great experiences gunning the "First Timers" group. I'll find some pics of that. That's Chicken Corners the first day, Secret Spire the next, and Copper Ridge on the last. The idea is that you have most of the same people for three days. Kind of like a real Jeep trip on the <name your trail that you go on with your friends here>. You get familiar with people, off roading in general and RR4W stresses that we teach Tread Lightly and go over the BLM guidelines for the event EVERY day and as much as we can while we "train" new people to the trails and environment. It's a good thing to do. Roger Peck is now leading the "First Timers". He's probably the best match for the job of people I know.

DSCN1109.JPG

DSCN1111.JPG

The next day on Green Day in BFE, Herzog snapped one of my favorite pics I have of my Jeep.

EJS%202010%20057.JPG

EJS%202010%20010.JPG

Roads were a muddy mess that day, trail not so bad.
EJS%20-%20Shane%20Sony%20Cam%20017.JPG

Shane looked kind of cold out there. We weren't a lot better not having a heater but at least we had some protection from the top and the auto trans to warm us up.
EJS-2010-100.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
20160320_203643731_iOS%20(Medium).jpg

These folks DROVE the M715 from Boise. They are still FaceBook friends. They had a blast. I think it wise of this husband to take his newb wife on the "First Timers". It was a good warm up for her even though he wasn't really challenging himself or his rig.

20160321_181845468_iOS%20(Medium).jpg

Just taking off from Secret Spire.

20160401_230506100_iOS%20(Medium).jpg

Broken axle joint on a JKU (mine) on Secret Spire (seriously????)

IMG_0127%20(Medium).JPG

Group shot lining up for Copper Ridge. The Willys wagon was AWESOME on that trail. It could handle more but it totally didn't need to. He was having a blast. That rig was pretty close to show worthy, very close to stupidly stock. He had a vintage water bag and all kinds of junk. He got the stuff from his grandfather and said he felt pretty close to him while navigating the wagon around. Pretty cool tribute to a g-pa in my book.

20160322_171600926_iOS%20(Medium).jpg