Vonski visits Western Colorado

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I had the pleasure of showing Vonski around my favorite riding areas in Western CO last weekend.

On the first day we rode the Fruita North desert singletrack, up into the Bookcliffs and over to the top of 21 Road, which we went down, pretending we were Endurocross riders with all the rocks.

The next day we went out to Rabbit Valley for some awesome and very demanding singletrack. Sadly my memory card filled up less than 1/2 way into the ride and we weren't able to capture the harder aspects of Rabbit Valley. Needless to say, we were worn out at the end of the day, the rocks, whoops and ledges just don't give up out there.

Von was also very willing to trade bikes and I put some miles on his KTM 250 XCFW... that bike is amazing! Very nimble, the perfect bike for difficult riding! The suspension made me want to make some changes to my bike, it rides soooo well. Don't tell Kurt, but it made me want a KTM... :eek:

I had a great time, there were more than a few times where I was chasing Von, doing my very best to keep up with him. Seems like we were a good combination, I had to work to stay behind him and it was fun to push myself. For being a hardcore KTM elitist, Von is a pretty good guy and a hell of a rider. :greg:

Here's the videos... they're a bit long, but I didn't want to leave too much out. If you don't have 30 min, perhaps just catch one at a time? They're all in 720p HD too, so if you want the higher quality choose 720 HD instead of 360p at the bottom-right.

Starting off with the Fruita desert....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK9IpUG0v9I

[YOUTUBE]aK9IpUG0v9I[/YOUTUBE]

Down 21 Road...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeK0uxZoz-0

[YOUTUBE]MeK0uxZoz-0[/YOUTUBE]

And to the Rim Trail at Rabbit Valley...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2qfZspRatI

[YOUTUBE]v2qfZspRatI[/YOUTUBE]

sixstringsteve

I would die on 21 road. I'm not good at riding over loose rocks. I guess that's another thing I need to practice. Thanks for the videos.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Sweet, I didn't expect a ride report! Nice work man...

First off, I was lucky to have a Greg as a guide out there. Half the time, I didn't even know what direction we were headed, and there is alot of country out there to get lost in.

Second, thanks for the compliments on the (sorta) new bike, I'm really liking it too. Its just a 280 kit away from being the perfect bike (for me anyway). However, I'd like point out that your older WR will go anywhere mine can and you've got like 75% less money into it. :eek: BTW, thanks for letting me ride the 'ol girl. It makes me miss my 450 a little :sniff:.

Lastly, whats up with the helmet cam footage making 21 Road look like Robbie Flandro could ride his scooter down it? Its just not fair. -_-

sixstringsteve

it's crazy how the helmet mount makes every trail look flat no matter what. You can run a chest or handlebar mount, but then your field of vision isn't as wide.