Wall Texturing

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Anyone textured walls / Drywall?

I finally finished a basement room. I need to get the texture up. I was thinking about having someone do it, but no one seems to give a crap since its only one small 10x12 room.

I can rent the sprayer from Home Depot and buy the covering.

It doesn't seem to hard. Any tips or tricks to it?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I did the orange peal texture in our basement with a cheap HF texture gun. You just have to tinker to get the mud/water mixture right and to get the gun adjusted just right as well... after that it's quick and fast. I'd let you borrow mine but it's packed up in a storage unit for now. It was super cheap though.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Don't texture, it seems everything is smooth now. Removing texture sucks

This. IMO, the texture is usually put up to cover a sub-par drywall job (it certainly was by the PO of my house...)

I am getting ready to either remove it, or mud over it and have smooth walls. Not looking forward to it.

I vote you keep the walls smooth.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Eh, last place I lived had smooth walls. Felt like a mental institution. I like texture. Nothing crazy, just light texture. :)

idahoyj

Smooth walls show everything!
I recommend a "skip trowel" or "knock-down" type finish versus the spray type. Its a happy-medium between smooth and spray texture.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
My OCD wouldn't let me do that. All my initial places of mud would all line up and it would look stupid. I like smooth walls with round corners

Cascadia

Undecided
Textured walls isn't just orange peel type stuff. Nearly all new home are a hand texture wall. Usually called old world or other similar names. Knock down is used on ceilings.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I've already spent way to much time on this. The builder of my house must not have know what

STRAIGHT

PLUMB

OR LEVEL

Meant. I've been working on the mud for weeks, I'm just sick of it. I want to be done!!!!!! A light covering of texture is going to have to do.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
using a belt sander to remove about 100 square feet of textured wall mud in our house was the most horrible thing ever

skeptic

Knock down on the ceilings, and using a plain old paint roller gives a subtle orange peel texture to walls. That's what I did and I'm happy with it.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
using a belt sander to remove about 100 square feet of textured wall mud in our house was the most horrible thing ever

I've heard it is easier to just mud over it, sand it, and then re-texture if desired. I will be doing most of my upstars this way, likely with a skip trowel-ish finish (because my house was also finished by un-plumb people...) Anybody have a better/easier idea?