wanted: swing away tire carrier parts

sixstringsteve

There's no way I'm paying $2600 for a rear bumper for the van. I'm going to be building my own tire carrier.

I'm looking for parts to build it. I don't mind hacking up your old bumper or using a spindle you may have lying around. Let me know if you have any parts.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Steve

I have a brand new spindle that you can have. It's made from 1-1/2" bar stock and the sleeve is D.O.M.
You'll have to source the bearings, races, seal and cap but I'll pull a B.O.M. together for you. It uses 3500 lb trailer bearings. I think the cap is the same application. The seal was auto parts store available and I'll dig up that number.

I'm in Lehi, I'll PM you my phone #.

Thx
NAte

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I've never understood the reasoning behind the 1-ton truck axle and bearing for a spare tire carrier. It supports maybe a couple hundred pounds and may make a couple hundred revolutions in it's entire lifetime.:confused:

sixstringsteve

I've heard so many horror stories of people losing their tires on the freeway using trailer spindles for their bearing. I guess every little bump will be putting downward pressure on the joint. My tire probably weighs 80-100 lbs, on an arm 1-2' out, that's a lot of leverage. I guess for $50 more, I'd rather have overkill and peace of mind.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Steve.
FYI, The one I have is a lot like the ruff stuff one, accepts timken bearings, brand new, super beefy, and is free to you.

sixstringsteve

Sweet, thanks Nate. For some reason I thought it was a 3500 lb trailer spindle. I'll shoot you a text tomorrow. I could pick it up after 5PM.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Most carrier designs I've seen support the outboard end on the bumper when closed. But overkill is good too.

sixstringsteve

I'd love to do something like this, with a shackle on the door so it opened with the door, without any latch pins.

attachment.php

I'm not sure if my doors are strong enough for that.