Washington County Growth and Conservation Act Of 2006

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
Washington County Growth and Conservation Act Of 2006 and Wilderness Designation

Washington County is asking for public comment on the Conservation Act of 2006. The comments need to be sent to the county. The county is actually drafting the plan and comments need to also be made to the county. This is a important process and needs to happen. Of course there is always compromise. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the bill except for a few RS-2477 roads that are being included in wilderness areas in the bill. Also there is no designation of trails and existing roads. Areas like Canan Mtn would be put into wilderness and other areas that don't meet wilderness criteria. Canan Mtn is Rich is history and culture for the area and should be protected but at the same time traditional travel routes and places of history should be left intact and accessible to the public via the existing routes.

Here is a link to the bill http://www.washco.state.ut.us/pdf/LandUseBill.pdf

Here is the link to the Washington county home page http://www.washco.state.ut.us/

Last edited:

dbdproductions

How can I help

I'm not sure where some of these areas are that they are talking about turning into wilderness. In fact I had a hard time knowing what the bill was really saying . Let me know what I need to do to become educated. Maybe we have a story for AYL.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Perhaps AYL would be interested in doing a feature on Canaan Mtn. This is a wilderness study area now, but there is a well documented road on this mountain that goes to an old sawmill and a windlass that was used to lift material up the south cliff. The BLM denies this is a road and has been attempting to close it down for 30 years. I'm not sure what Washington Co.'s position is on this road, but looking at the map it appears they are not trying to keep it.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Sounds like everyone needs to put pressure on Washington County. No reason this road shouldn't be cherry stemmed into the wilderness area.

SUWA doesn't really want anything to be settled. They make their money by creating controversy.

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
Money

The Tri state OHV club is putting a full page ad in the Spectrum about the land use legislation. It should be a good one. I hope to see it happen. As you know these ads run in St George about 2000.00 dollars. Any donations would greatly be appreciated. Can't wait to see it.