Washouts in Colorado

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Not sure if you guys have seen this stuff, but the Glenwood Canyon in Colorado had a massive fire last year and now the monsoons are washing rocks, dirt, trees and debris into the Canyon bottom, taking out the freeway, railroad tracks and blocking the river itself. This is my home territory, I'm working nearby on other projects.

I got a call last night about heading into the Glenwood Canyon to help clean up... still on hold for the time being. It's looking nasty, I bet there's a weeks worth of work if not more.

Not my pics....

IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0680.jpg
IMG_0669.jpg
IMG_0665.jpg
Screenshot_20210731-164039_Facebook.jpg

Greg

Admin

Greg

Admin
Last night about 15 guys in the track department got stuck in the canyon for several hours. They had just cleaned up the slides to reopen the track for trains and about 10 min later several slides, larger than the first ones, came down and blocked their way out on either end. They had to dig their way out and were able to get out around 11 pm.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Last night about 15 guys in the track department got stuck in the canyon for several hours. They had just cleaned up the slides to reopen the track for trains and about 10 min later several slides, larger than the first ones, came down and blocked their way out on either end. They had to dig their way out and were able to get out around 11 pm.
The thought of getting stopped by a slide, and then having more come down around me is my worst fear in canyons like that.

Greg

Admin

I'm not surprised at all, the canyon and freeway has been absolutely destroyed.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That Canyon is scary, I could tell you some stories...
Looks like they are going to have to get clever with that washout, that's gonna be a consistent problem in that spot (unless it already is, I'm not super familiar with that canyon, only been through it a handful of times). Would love to hear you stories, I guess we better plan more wheeling / camping trips.

Greg

Admin
I can’t even imagine how much that cost the railroad in labor and lost revenue because the track was down.

Really, this line isn't a major route... it used to run a s**t ton of coal trains, but those days are long gone. There are maybe 2-3 freight trains a day, 2 Amtrack trains and that's about it. The Nothern route thru Wyoming is double main and the real money maker with intermodal trains running both ways, non stop.