Welder poping breaker

koondawg

Any certified electricians out there? My trusty lincoln sp 125 plus, keeps popping the breaker, is there anything I can do to make this a less frequent accurance?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
koondawg said:
Any certified electricians out there? My trusty lincoln sp 125 plus, keeps popping the breaker, is there anything I can do to make this a less frequent accurance?

If you are using the 125 plus on its highest setting it requires a 25 amp service. Most home circuits for 120 V are at most 20 Amp. So I wouldn't use it on its highest setting, and also make sure you aren't sharing the circuit with other things that are turned on at the same time. You could put in a heavier breaker but only if you know that the wire going to your welder can handle the extra current (which is not usually the case unless you re-wire the feed). Mine will occasionally trip my 20 breaker also and I wish I had the 220 V unit since I have a 220 30A feed to the garage for my compressor.
Dave

Caleb

125 or 135? I can't find anything on Lincolns site for a 125...according to lincolns site, the 135 only requires a 20A breaker...

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Is it plugged directly into the outlet or are you using an extension cord? What else is on that circuit? Can you try a different circuit? I have seen breakers pop before their rating.

Caleb

rusted said:
Is it plugged directly into the outlet or are you using an extension cord? What else is on that circuit? Can you try a different circuit? I have seen breakers pop before their rating.

all good points, make sure nothing else is on the circuit (even lights) and if the breaker has popped quite a bit I would jsut replace it, as I too have seen them pop before their rating. Mine got worse and worse till I finally replaced it, now it hasn;t popped since...

morty

Head full of rocks
koondawg said:

Up grade the service to the welder. Breakers will become weak the more they trip the weaker they get, try an change the breaker don't hurt your self wear gloves :eek:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Supergper said:
125 or 135? I can't find anything on Lincolns site for a 125...according to lincolns site, the 135 only requires a 20A breaker...

The value I quoted of 25 A came from the directions for my Lincoln SP125 plus.
Dave

morty

Head full of rocks
DaveB said:
The value I quoted of 25 A came from the directions for my Lincoln SP125 plus.
Dave

This welder needs a 30 amp service with at least #10 wire. any thing less is not wise, over heating the existing wire and cause a fire (UP GRADE THE SEVICE TO THE WELDER).

Is the welder able to run on 220v could be a better option. (assuming we are all talking about running the welder on 120v now)

koondawg

Okay,

first of all, i unplug everything else on the circuit, That I know of. Second, the breaker it is on is only a 15. By upgrade service you mean the breaker? No extension cords, directly to the outlet. Yes, it does seem to pop faster and faster now. is it okay to change the 15 to a 30? knowing that a fridge, and other things will be on it when not welding?
thanks for all the help.

morty

Head full of rocks
koondawg said:
By upgrade service you mean the breaker? No extension cords, directly to the outlet. Yes, it does seem to pop faster and faster now. is it okay to change the 15 to a 30?

Do not put a 30 amp breaker in place of the 15 VERY BAD!!
You need to come out of the electrical panel with its own wire strait to a outlet of is own for the welder, may not be easy, but it's the right thing to do.

Can your electrical panel or main panel for the house be accesed to add a new circuit.

Or you could replace the breaker and deal with the triping for time to time

Caleb

what size wire? as morty said, you can't go from a 15 to a 30 without burning down your house prolly (depends on the size of the wire though)...