West Desert West deer advice.

Houndoc

Side bar to my post in the mental health thread.

I have a West Desert West unit deer tag and was planning on hunting with my cousin who died over the weekend.

He lived in Ibapah, knows the area and has private land contacts so he was planning my hunt.

So, now I am two weeks before tge hunt and no real clue of where to hunt.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. May be hunting by myself, so back country really not an option.

Pile of parts

No help here. My knowledge of the west desert ends at the beginning. I know the Cedar mountain range from I80 to Dugway. Not sure what your hunt boundaries are, but the deer are few and far between on the Cedars.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My good spot was turned into a CWMU with a shady land swap deal.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I will ask around and see if I can find any info for you.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I forgot about hunting with my grandpa when I was young. The deep creek mountains are decent and we have seen good deer coming out of the hills into Callao. In our experience don't bother with notch peak.

If my daughter didn't have a deer tag I would come hunt with you.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
still lots of water in the deep creeks, we were up there a couple weeks ago.

Houndoc

I forgot about hunting with my grandpa when I was young. The deep creek mountains are decent and we have seen good deer coming out of the hills into Callao. In our experience don't bother with notch peak.

If my daughter didn't have a deer tag I would come hunt with you.
Thanks, appreciate it.

shortstraw8

How are the roads out that way?
If I can get myself motivated to go (little hard under the circumstances), will just have my stock F250

We used to run around in stock chev/gmc 1500s 4x4 and 2x4, there are good roads to get you back in most of the draws. Most of that out there is still used primarily by sheep herders, always good to check ahead on the washes for how soft they are but used to get tucked up nicely out of the wind with the programs ~14' camp trailer for the supply driver without issues. Definitely steep terrain but easy to navigate if you take it slow.

Take good paper maps though, gps was always weird out there but have not been out with something like onx. I hit swasey/sinbad canyon a year ago and need to show that area to my kids, nothing better that getting ~8k' above and seeing as far as the eye can.