What did you work on Today; Home Edition

1969honda

Supporting Member
Insurance called a couple weeks ago and said to either get rid of the wood stove, or make a bigger hearth area. We switched almost a year ago and the underwriters just decide it was an issue. Lame. Double lame because the stove has a UL approved chart on the beach for stand offs, which it exceeded by a couple inches in every dimension.

1000007726.jpg

Taped out area is the new 48" x 72" area they want to see.

1000007725.jpg

So instead of going to the SLOREX, I got to bust out tile and redo the hearth this week. Wife and I have plans to remodel, repaint, and install new flooring in the next couple years. With that in mind she said installed "cheap" cement pavers and she'll stain and gloss seal them later. Deal.

1000007724.jpg

When they are wet/glossy they have almost a charcoal color. Should be pretty easy to match up some wood/lvp flooring and paint later. (Ignore the two missing corners, I broke that one and need to get a replacement tonight.) Tomorrow I'll grout and clean everything up.

Attachments

• 1000007723.jpg
    1000007723.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 6

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Today I worked on my laptop with mobile hotspot while getting 3 loads of chat in my truck. 1 ton, 1.5 ton, 1.5 ton. I watched the scale and was pleasantly surprised that my 3/4 ton wasn’t even close to the bump stops with 3k in the bed. I shoveled each load out onto the sideyard. It was a lot of work.
Then the wife started helping and we got the weed guard fabric almost all the way done on my lunch. Then after work was done at 5 we started wheelbarrowing chat. Just got done for the night. What a day.
IMG_3099.jpegIMG_3101.jpegIMG_3100.jpeg
Tomorrow I learn how to use the plate compactor I rented for the weekend and get some layers down.

Shoutout to my Govee lights for making it so I can see out there.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Today I worked on my laptop with mobile hotspot while getting 3 loads of chat in my truck. 1 ton, 1.5 ton, 1.5 ton. I watched the scale and was pleasantly surprised that my 3/4 ton wasn’t even close to the bump stops with 3k in the bed. I shoveled each load out onto the sideyard. It was a lot of work.
Then the wife started helping and we got the weed guard fabric almost all the way done on my lunch. Then after work was done at 5 we started wheelbarrowing chat. Just got done for the night. What a day.
View attachment 170509View attachment 170510View attachment 170511
Tomorrow I learn how to use the plate compactor I rented for the weekend and get some layers down.

Shoutout to my Govee lights for making it so I can see out there.

She's way more attractive than you say! What's she doing with a schmuck like you?

N-Smooth

Notice she’s bundled up in full winter clothing? I was in a hoodie and sweat pants. She’s weird for sure and makes questionable choices (including her choice of eternal companion)

N-Smooth

A full day today. I’m going to check it tomorrow and maybe do another round of compacting and then it’s done. I hope this chat crap works out cause now I’m up to 11,000 lbs and have some very sore muscles. My truck has been invaluable for this project.

IMG_3113.jpegIMG_3112.jpegIMG_3114.jpegIMG_3111.jpegIMG_3115.jpeg

N-Smooth

Wow that looks great! I love scored to hear how it works out long term. I can see that going to a few places in my yard
Thanks! I just did one last run of the compactor and we gently brushed the loose pieces off. We’ll see how it looks when it’s dry but it already seemed legit this morning after drying last night.

Where did you buy the chat from?
Arrow Rock and Stone in the industrial area off 56th W and Old Bingham. Can’t beat the proximity to my house and the price was good too. They charge $135 to deliver up to 12 tons but I knew the truck they’d use was too big to drop it where I wanted, hence using my own truck.

N-Smooth

I spent all day on this wall that’s three blocks high. I realized that I’m being way more particular than any contractor would be, which is dumb. Either way, it looks good and I feel good about it. The beautiful weather today made it a lot easier to justify working on something like this.
IMG_3215.jpeg
The other option was to mix soil and plant stuff with the wife and that’s dumb so I definitely prefer this. Plus she has ZERO hustle so working on stuff with her makes me feel like my dad probably felt when I was a kid, helping him with stuff.

The_Lobbster

Previous home owner had a mix of weeds and lava rock here. Been scooping for days and have filled my trash can a few times to the point I can barely move it. Picked up some scrap strap from my supplier to use as edging and pounded it in today. Tack welded it all together too to stay in place.

Edit: before photo added

IMG_5993.jpeg
IMG_2499.jpeg

Last edited: