What did you work on Today; Home Edition

Coco

Got a bit further on tile removal last night - a demo hammer made short work of getting under the tile, but we will see if it can even be useful to get under the cement board stuff. I am heading out of town for the weekend, but then it is back to business Monday. I am renting a dump trailer for the day monday, so I am hoping to have it fully gutted (or at least a huge chunk of it) done by Monday evening. Then I can start prepping for the LVP, then laying the new flooring.

I condemn whoever did this tile job to always have itchy crotch... The kind where you aren't always satisfied, and it is always there.

67038649676--8B4A672E-9DF4-498D-8C2E-746ED2E0B76B.jpg

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Continuation of my small floating desk!

All staining is done and I put a gloss lacquer on as well to help protect the wood a little bit. Got it all mounted, and found that I once again dislike the drywallers who did my house.

Also found that the small shelf I made for the printer and whatever crap we wanted to put on it was not deep enough for the printer. So back to Home Depot I go again to buy more wood...

Overall though I'm very happy with it so far, clears up floor space and just generally looks nice. Definitely looks lonely and I'm need of some shelves at this point though.
824B632E-F6C8-4672-A7F1-C766133D93AE.jpeg

Also, nothing makes you feel better than eyeballing a perfect level.
1D1DD33F-CB5E-4012-B8F5-83E46C5F2C83.jpeg
68D6F762-0400-45DD-B1AD-D7E1A3185FCE.jpeg
80F6B9B1-C94B-4FD7-A042-050135FFFAB3.jpeg
00B2C83F-D77D-48E9-A3A2-27DC2E2FAE31.jpeg
Damn Drywallers!

2A583F2A-7C73-4ACD-A382-903CF60CC67E.jpeg
4BEEDA7B-0A55-46F7-A6C1-B1903229D11E.jpeg

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I always get everything marked up and level, then end up drilling a hole crooked and mess it all up anyway.
Ironically I did mess up one of the stud screws and stripped it real bad. Luckily it was seating enough that I just used some vise grips to tighten it all the way. It still level though so it doesn't matter.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I never knew how bad I was a framing until I found out how bad I was at drywall :rofl:

The lost art is skim coat plaster. You can fix a world of mistakes with that stuff.

I had a boss once that wanted to plaster his entire house but couldn't afford the going rate. ($30/hour plus materials)
He found two day laborers that were willing to learn for $10/hr, turned them loose on just the garage, and after the third pass on the garage, turned them loose on the rest of the house.
He got his house plastered for $10+/hour instead of $30, and the guys who did it got a skill that paid $30/hour.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I never knew how bad I was a framing until I found out how bad I was at drywall :rofl:

The lost art is skim coat plaster. You can fix a world of mistakes with that stuff.
I had a boss once that wanted to plaster his entire house but couldn't afford the going rate. ($30/hour plus materials)
He he found two day laborers that were willing to learn for $10/hr, turned them loose on just the garage, and after the third pass on the garage, turned them loose on the rest of the house.
He got his house plastered for $10+/hour instead of $30, and the guys who did it got a skill that paid $30/hour.
That is exactly what I like to see in this country. Find a good laborer and level him up. It can be expensive to invest in that skill training and development, but it's rarely a wasteful pursuit. It will also payoff pretty quickly.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Wrapped up the side yard rock work, moved the Ford Model T body further forward and closer to the road, so its more visible and added the engine and wire wheel, to make it look like it broke down there. 😄

All 3 of those car parts were hauled home, finds from working on the RR tracks over the years!

20220402_135146.jpg
20220402_135105.jpg

Coco

Got most of the tile ripped out yesterday, and rented a dump trailer to put all the tile and cement. I still need to do it under the fridge, stove, and dishwasher, but pretty much everything else is done. All the dust has subsided in all the spots in the house, so that will be fun to clean.

This thing saved my bacon and I was able to get a lot more done than I would have with the wimpy handheld demo hammer. I will use the handheld version for the three remaining areas.

67080716897--3612DDB8-9980-4C16-86A8-63ECF0CA0853.jpg

I used the big version all day with no issues, then I did the kitchen last and had two areas where it got into and partially under the subfloor 😠. Any good options for patching them before I cut them out for wood? It didn't go all the way through, but did pull up a couple layers on the plywood.

67079954827--C4DC35C6-EDE9-4C97-9E9C-41A9725634DB.jpg

I then found a small section by the backdoor that is rotted from many years of water damage I am sure. found it under all the concrete backer, so either it rotted under that, or someone just bubble gummed it while they were doing the tile. I am guessing the latter as there was a plastic sheet in that section where the rest of the job had nothing. I need to reseal/fix the door and the subfloor section in that area.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Got most of the tile ripped out yesterday, and rented a dump trailer to put all the tile and cement. I still need to do it under the fridge, stove, and dishwasher, but pretty much everything else is done. All the dust has subsided in all the spots in the house, so that will be fun to clean.

This thing saved my bacon and I was able to get a lot more done than I would have with the wimpy handheld demo hammer. I will use the handheld version for the three remaining areas.

View attachment 148102

I used the big version all day with no issues, then I did the kitchen last and had two areas where it got into and partially under the subfloor 😠. Any good options for patching them before I cut them out for wood? It didn't go all the way through, but did pull up a couple layers on the plywood.

View attachment 148104

I then found a small section by the backdoor that is rotted from many years of water damage I am sure. found it under all the concrete backer, so either it rotted under that, or someone just bubble gummed it while they were doing the tile. I am guessing the latter as there was a plastic sheet in that section where the rest of the job had nothing. I need to reseal/fix the door and the subfloor section in that area.
I've got subfloor in the kitchen and bathroom that needs redone and this post is giving me anxiety.

4x4_Welder

View attachment 148102

View attachment 148104

I went into my kitchen remodel knowing it needed new subfloor and hated it anyway. I ripped out that wonderful late 70s/early 80s particle board crap and replaced with 7/8" OSB. Huge improvement.