What do you guys think about the 99-01 Super Duty w/7.3L?

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Looking into a older Ford SD as a tow vehicle/daily driver. What do you guys and girls think about the late 90's early 2000's with the 7.3L? I want to avoid the early 6.0L due to the tendency of nuclear meltdowns. I like the Rams/Cummins combo better but I want the 4 big doors for the family but the 3rd gen rams are $$$$.

Thanks!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I like my 2000 Supercab F350. It's been a great truck, I average around 17mpg with the 6 speed manual. 190K miles and still singing along.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Mine's got 180K on it now (I bought it with just over 150K). Other than the CPS, the powertrain has been quite reliable. We use it as a family car as much as a truck. Big, roomy, powerful and gets about the same mileage as my wife's ZJ on a trip on the interstate. I've got the auto and would prefer the stick, but they aren't the easiest thing to find in the world. (I wanted a 555 Dodge as well, but they are still commanding top $$$--with the miles on one, it's just cheaper to buy it new and put the miles on yourself)

I get about 14-15 mpg commuting (Woods Cross-downtown SLC) and if I keep the RPM about 1950-2000 on the freeway (roughly 65-68 mph) I can get 19-18 on the highway on longer trips. If I go above 2000 RPM, the mileage drops off pretty significantly.

I get about 12-14 mpg towing my Jeep to Moab and can tow pretty much any hill on the way at 65 or greater. The only ones the truck even 'works' on are the grade to Thistle and the one past the rest area to Soldier Summit. I just drive by the EGT gauge on the hills. Coming out of Price there's a couple of grades, but they don't seem quite as bad for some reason.

Things that commonly break:
1) power locks
2) CPS
3) 'auto' hubs
4) unit bearings

I've had a couple of weird things with my truck. I've replaced a LOT of electrical components (window switch, headlight switch, turn signal switch, gas pedal with whatever sensor that was (TPS?) and rear springs {those actually broke all off except for the main leaf--according to AAA spring, it's fairly common}. Mine's an "early" '99.

Things I'd buy different:
1) stick shift
2) I'd get the long bed. Why have the shortbed? It's not maneuverable and is HUGE in any parking lot or drive through. Why not have the extra space and just be 'HUGE'?
3) F350

Things I really like about MY truck:
1) the 6 passenger capability (the 'console' in the front bench is usually down and functions as a console, but if I get some passengers, I can flip it up and have an extra chair. One truck I looked at to buy had a center console like in an Excursion. I'm glad I got the bench.)
2) Lever for the 4x4 instead of the 'dial'--my dad's (2000 F250, crew, powerjoke) had issues with his hubs AND with the motor thingy moves it into 4x4. $800 or something. Mine's been fine.
3) I can't lie, I love the leather seats
4) the body is BUILT--I was quite surprised when I tried to run some wires through the firewall how beefy they build the firewall area--not even comparable to a '70s or '80s built truck

5) I added the Edge w/Attitude to the truck. I LOVE it.
6) I'm impressed for the miles on it how few rattles and squeaks it doesn't have. It's pretty quiet except for the diesel motor.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Don't get a 99. Never buy first-year "new body styles". A good friend of mine has been through hell and back with his, although he got the very first production run. He's been through 4 transmissions, broke everything from the engine back on one of those, wasted some hubs, needed 2 water pumps, and has been chasing electrical gremlins the entire time.

Also, the extended cab rear seats are murder on anyone over 5'9". So you do get to torture your friends if you're so inclined. :D And if it helps, this amigo of mine reports 18 average MPG, when he did the work I do, driving around the East Coast and back.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Things I'd buy different:
1) stick shift
2) I'd get the long bed. Why have the shortbed? It's not maneuverable and is HUGE in any parking lot or drive through. Why not have the extra space and just be 'HUGE'?
3) F350

Couldn't agree more.
The 4R100 transmission will go out at some point of owning a superduty and they aren't cheap to replace. If it has over 90k, just do a drain and fill with basic mercon, add a large cooler and hope for the best.

I also have a SB and would rather have had a LB (looks better to me)

F350 gives you a D60 instead of the D50 and a extra overload leaf in the back.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
oh yeah, if it helps, you get used to driving a huge truck. I've got a crew cab, long bed, dually, and it's mostly ok in all kinds of city driving.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Why do you need a long bed? Do you guys haul around sheetrock and plywood all day?:p The biggest thing I have seen marcus carry in the bed of his truck is 2 dogs. The only reason to get the longbed is if you need it to clear your trailer equipment or you haul that crap all day. I love my truck 01 SD diesel extd cad 4x4 short bed. Been pretty reliable bought it with 85 got 110 on it now. Only things that went out were water pump and alternator, so no biggie. I did replace the bearings, and balljoints, u jouints- just cause

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Why do you need a long bed? Do you guys haul around sheetrock and plywood all day?:p The biggest thing I have seen marcus carry in the bed of his truck is 2 dogs. The only reason to get the longbed is if you need it to clear your trailer equipment or you haul that crap all day. I love my truck 01 SD diesel extd cad 4x4 short bed. Been pretty reliable bought it with 85 got 110 on it now. Only things that went out were water pump and alternator, so no biggie. I did replace the bearings, and balljoints, u jouints- just cause

Ummm... because it would be handy at times and my truck doesn't turn or maneuver worth a damn anyway. It'd be nice to have the 8 ft. for the times when I want it. They also came with a bigger fuel tank. My truck has a 24 gallon or something tank. Kind of annoying, but not horrid. I think the long bed tank is 36 gallon?

Last edited:
R

rockdog

Ummm... because it would be handy at times and my truck doesn't turn or maneuver worth a damn anyway. It'd be nice to have the 8 ft. for the times when I want it.

If you decide on a long bed, make sure it will fit in your garage.;) My 01 crew short bed just verily fits. I have really enjoyed my truck. Except when filling it with fuel.:ugh:

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
Here is my $0.02 worth. I bought an early 99 F-350 new off the lot back in January of '99. It was a supercab longbed 6spd. When I bought it I hauled an 11' camper(4100#) and towed my Jeep on a flatbed. It was great. I added better shocks and airsprings to it because the camper pretty heavy, in fact when I was under warranty I had to have the cab repositioned on the frame from the twisting the camper was causing(so says the dealer).

Later I put a tuff country level kit on it and 315's. It looked awesome, but that made the ride even worse.

Now my priorities have changed I don't have the Jeep, and got rid of the camper for a trailer and have a baby on the way and the supercab wasn't going to cut it with a car seat.

I put gauges in it before I chipped it and it always seemed to have higher than normal EGTs. I couldn't find it and no mechanic I took it to could find a problem they all said it was normal(I could easily hit 1400 preturbo with no chip) After I chipped it I couldn't really use the power for the EGT I built. I changed the exhaust, put a bigger intercooler on, but still heat like a crazy bastard(easily 1600 pre turbo on parley's, unless I ran at 40mph in third gear) Also the turbo was surging like mad and the clutch was starting to slip. I had the "small turbo" that came on the early 99's which everyone said shouldn't surge, but it surged like crazy. On my last trip my friend out pulled me and out mileaged me (I was getting 8.5-9 towing 8500#) with his 05 6.0 GMC, both of us towing a similar trailer.

I have a hard time believing that too, I honestly think I had a problem with my stroker that hadn't really showed itself yet(maybe injectors, or HPOP or similar), but I was tired of dinking with it.

Here is what I liked about it:
1. power when new
2. mpg when towing when new
3. looks (aka growl factor)

Here is what I didn't like about it:
1. I always seemed to be spending money on it. Usually little stuff, but still money being spent(100-200/month).
2. The ride sucked a$$.
3. The stock clutch was a beast.
4. Ford's hydroboost steering sucks, I can actually steer my GMC in a parking lot
5. Ford's ESOF sucks A$$. I can't tell you how many times it either popped out of 4L pulling my camper/boat out on the ramp or wouldn't go into 4x4 due to the auto hubs, that really sucks in the snow. Of course the dealer never found anything wrong.
6. God help you if you need to take it in for repairs, get your wallet out!

Obviously, I remember more bad than good otherwise I wouldn't have kept it as long as I did.

Here is what I would do if I were shopping for a powerstroke.
1. Get a crew cab
2. avoid the early 99's. They had a cat convertor and depending on where you live some counties are bitches about it(aka Davis) and that really limits your exhuast options. Some later models (6spds) had cats too so be sure to look and maybe even have the vin pulled to make sure you don't have to buy one($500-800) come IM time because someone illegally removed it.
3. The early 99's had the small turbo as well and that spelled trouble in the aftermarket should you need one. Almost everybody makes the 99.5 and up turbo. The early truck can be converted, but that takes quite a bit of work.
4. After 2001 sometime Ford went to different rods in the block and can't hold up to extreme power building( the early ones had forged rods).
5. If your going to chip it get a manual and live with the shifting, otherwise be prepared to rebuild the trans soon.

Aside from my long negative rant they are good trucks, I just had something weird with mine I honestly believe. Just carry a spare CPS in the glove box. They eat em up pretty good sometimes.

I ended up trading for a crewcab GMC with the 8.1 gas motor. I doesn't pull nearly as strong, but its more comfortable and gets nearly the same towing mileage. I'm pretty sure when I find my money tree I'll be looking for a duramax, but for now this crew cab serves me better than my supercab.

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I've got a pair of 02's, both with over 220K mostly towing miles on them. Both are automatics, and still on their original transmissions. We service them every 25K, which I believe is the secret to long transmission life. I wouldn't condemn a clean used truck simply because it has an auto. I'm lazy, I'd prefer the auto over the manual.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Well, there are lots of varying opinions and experiences here, which is good. However, to add the the confusion, here's my situation...

I bought a '99 Powerstroke (build date 3/99) in '04 w/ 135k. Its a crew cab, short bed, 6 spd., power everything, but no fancy push button 4WD system (the way it should be... -_- ). I drive it basically everyday and tow with it on most weekends. It now has 180k and repairs have been pretty simple stuff like batteries, alternator, radiator, and a water pump and a CPS. Other than that, I have just done typical service/maintenance stuff. Just think... what other good options between '99 and '01 do you really have? Dodge didn't have a "real" 4 door yet, transfer pump design/location issues, and still behind in overall "fit and finish" areas. As for GM, I'm not seeing any reason to even consider one available from that time period, but thats my opinion.

Anyway, go with the Ford. Hopefully, you'll have as good luck as Carl, MBryson, and I have had with ours...

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
I have the most powerful 7.3 they made: the 525!! That was the last 7.3 they made before switching over to the 6.0. I tow every single day and it's just a beast!

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
What year is it? I thought the later 7.3L had the weaker rods so they are not the best candidate for power upgrades.

kowe69

wannabe
I know this thread is a little old at this point...don't know if you bought you a truck yet but here is my advise...

I am a diesel tech at a Ford dealer in West Valley so i see these things on a daily basis. '99's are OK to buy. They don't have any more (or less) problems than any of the other MY's. Although that was the start of a new body style, Ford has been using the same 7.3L DIT engine for years. The 2000-mid 2003 7.3L engine do have a slightly larger turbo as well as some other minor changes.

As for the common problems you'll see with the 7.3L engines....They are notorious for going through, batteries, alternators, water pumps, camshaft position sensors, glow plug relays as well as oil leaking from the high pressure hose fitting o-rings and the orange intake connections. These may seem like minor repairs (and most of them are) but when they happen on an almost annual basis, it can get expensive.

As for the base engine it's self, they are almost bullet proof. (I say almost because anyone with more money then brains can destroy even the toughest of engines.)

As for the truck, they also tend to go through ball joints like crazy, especially if they have larger tires. Door lock actuators are also a problem after a few years. Ford also uses a vacuum locking 4x4 hub on the front axles if it has auto 4x4. The seals inside tend to leak, forcing you to get out and lock them manually.

Up untill 2002 the 4R100 had a design flaw causing the intermediate one-way clutch to seize or break causing it to either lock up in third gear or to loose second gear. If this has happend already, it has likely been repaired with an updated clutch and after 2002 all the 4R100 transmission had the update.

That is all I know off the top of my head. hope it helps some. :)

Last edited: