What I learned this weekend.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I learned that I'm still not good enough to push a mostly-stock 4Runner to it's limits, but I tried really really hard.

I learned that Kane Creek in the rain is awesomesauce.

I learned that when you're splicing a driveshaft together you should bevel the cut ends and sleeve your splice, or you'll break it on the climb out of Kane Creek.

I learned that having a full complement of trucks with winches and recovery gear is essential for dragging a WJ with a broken front driveshaft up the last climb out of Kane Creek.

And I also learned that Dempsey isn't sharing his awesome friends with the rest of us. I have yet to discover whether this is because he's greedy, or because he's ashamed of us. Maybe a little bit of both?

dutchman

KI7KSV
I think you did a pretty good job wheeling that rig considering you didn't want to risk any body damage.

I learned that rain makes the first bit of Kane Creek harder.

I learned how important recovery gear is. Also, that I need more armor, 4.88s and 33s.

Most importantly wheeling with good people makes the long days on the trail awesome!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

blznnp

I learned nothing this weekend. I have only wheeled with one of Dempsey's friends and he was/is a awesome guy,

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Were said breakages inflicted while attempting the ledge on one of the last obstacles as seen below?

Attachments

• IMG_0557 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0557 (800x600).jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 34

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Hey, there is only so much of me to go around. I can't help it if everyone usually prefers to go wheeling only when I can be there with them.

Greedy then. Got it.

Were said breakages inflicted while attempting the ledge on one of the last obstacles as seen below?

That's the ledges above the pools? No, it actually happened about halfway up the very first climb.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict

Nobody attempted that rock face. We got 2 rigs to the top of the ledges and then the driveshaft broke on the first ledge. After that, we went into recovery mode and the most important thing was to get everyone out safely.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Nobody attempted that rock face. We got 2 rigs to the top of the ledges and then the driveshaft broke on the first ledge. After that, we went into recovery mode and the most important thing was to get everyone out safely.

Yeah, next time I will not be trying it again, even though I have spares for everything just in case it's still not much fun getting hung up for 20-30 minutes. That used to be much less dug out and a bit easier to go up.