What is this stuff I found in an engine ?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My neighbor gave me a motor that came off of a commercial mower. The engine had no compression and had been replaced. The motor was an 18 HP twin cylinder Briggs and Stratton. I decided to take it apart to see if it was worth fixing. What I found inside the motor was something I have never seen in a motor. It was completely full of black goop that looked like a cross between Jello and axle grease. It smelled somewhat like very old gas but I can't imagine how so much of it was in the motor. Here is a picture of what the goop looks like. Anyone ever seen something like this ?Resized_20210607_182347.jpeg

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I'm assuming that is what the oil in my riding mower looks like. it's got to be 15+ years old, and has never even been checked :shawn:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Back in the day when I worked at Morris Motors In Provo we had an insurance company bring in a diesel truck that when we pulled the oil drain plug nothing happened. After a while goo that looked like that peaked out the hole. We put some kerosene in the engine and ran it and it started coming out more but took days and repeated flushing s for it to drain the “oil” out of it.