What makes a canoe stable?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Is it just being wide or are there other things that contribute to it?

I've been looking for a row boat for a while and missed on a couple earlier this year. I'm thinking about instead just picking up a canoe that we can fish from. This is will be used at Washington Lake 95% of the time. We're also going to Palisades next month as well. My BIL and uncle both have theirs mounted with a little trolling motor that they rip around with in the Uintas. I'm thinking about doing something similar but want one that won't tip over. My boys are pretty wiggly. I'm absolutely willing to sacrifice maneuverability for stability.

My BIL has an Old Town Discovery Sport with the square stern and it is 40" wide. My uncle has a traditional shaped one that he rigged a motor mount to. It seems like he sits on the floor though rather than on a sides mounted seat.

The_Lobbster

I’m no expert by any means on the stability thing, but, my dad has a gheenoe. Bit of a hybrid between a canoe, and a flat bottom. It is extremely stable and great for fishing. Paddles similar to a canoe, and has a flat back you can clamp a trolling motor to.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
A lake canoe is stable due to lenghth and width in the middle. River Canoes are most stable when they are paddled and they are long and narrow.

A lake Canoe would work for you but a hybrid or aluminum fishing boat would probably be better for you. A canoe is great for 2 people, but not awesome for 3.

I have an Old Town 14' fishing canoe that I use a little electric trolling motor on. It's a cool way to get around the lake for fishing. It's tight to get 3 people fishing in mine, even if the smallest person is in the middle.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've not had good canoe fishing experiences. We caught fish, but me and two young boys was often a rodeo. We had to have the kids sit in the bottom of the canoe a few times for stability.
An outrigger with a platform improves this experience immensely, but kinda kills the convenience of having a canoe...

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I can’t see that link on this device but will check another in a minute. After thinking about what Dave said yesterday I know he’s right but I just haven’t found an aluminum boat. Then I think about transporting it while towing my camper. A boat will have to go on a rack or be able to break down for transport.

Today I started looking at fishing rafts. I.e. flycraft, Dave Scadden, and the others. A lot more portable but all the money. I was thinking canoe because I could be into one for a few hundred dollars and be good to go.

The biggest issue is the place I go the most, Washington lake, doesn’t have a ramp or drive up lake access. It’s at best a 100 yard walk down a path to the lake. When the water is low, it’s much farther. My boys aren’t big enough to help carry a boat.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My dad always had a canoe, he had anything from a tiny one to a home made wood one. The bigger the more stable but you pay for it when you have to move it out of water. His little canoe was fast and light but really tippy and not something I'd want with kids that like to wiggle. I'd look at a set of canoe wheels if you're dragging it down by yourself.

ID Bronco

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...general&referral_story_type=general&tracking={"qid"%3A"-1377886806220842161"%2C"mf_story_key"%3A"7063198128010351390"%2C"top_level_post_id"%3A"7063198128010351390"%2C"commerce_rank_obj"%3A"{%5C"target_id%5C"%3A7063198128010351390%2C%5C"target_type%5C"%3A6%2C%5C"primary_position%5C"%3A18%2C%5C"ranking_signature%5C"%3A8750049377235556620%2C%5C"commerce_channel%5C"%3A501%2C%5C"value%5C"%3A0.00015787230458697%2C%5C"upsell_type%5C"%3A4032%2C%5C"candidate_retrieval_source_map%5C"%3A{%5C"7699730950155635%5C"%3A3001}%2C%5C"grouping_info%5C"%3Anull}"%2C"lightning_feed_qid"%3A"-1378294725047075785"%2C"lightning_feed_ranking_signature"%3A"1306518530151681947"}

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I spent a lot of time in a Coleman Scanoe with my dad as a teen. We’d put him, myself and another friend in there and never felt like it was unstable. We also put our electric trolling motor on the back and that thing MOVED. It was cool and I wish I would’ve told him I wanted it when he got rid of it some years ago- I just didn’t have a place to put it atm. But, with small kids it would be tough for them to get around and come back to you for help with anything so I would rule out a canoe altogether. JMO