what to do?????

Brent

another nobody
here is my dilema,,,, in the pic below, I'm not sure what to do with the corner of the bed, I've capped the two oval holes and cut one oval hole for a led tail light, this is in place, I've cut and bent an inner bed side out of stainless sheet metal, but do I want to cut off the part that swoops down from the top corner to the bumper and leave that even with the inner bed side or leave it and try to work arround it.

I plan on taking a piece of square tube from the frame rail up the side of the wheel well, then make a 90* and take it inside the bed side, then a 90* and up to the bed rail, this will give me someting to hook the rear shock mounts too, and a roll bar arround the cab...... I was also wanting to put a tube from the floor to the bed rail in the rear corner by the tail light, tie the bottom into the frame, then have a runner going from there to the hoop arround the cab.

my idea to make it a little easier: cut the top off the rail, install a square tube to make the bed rail, have the runner going down from that to the floor in the rear and in the front have the zig zag hooking it to the frame and the shock mounts. this is a ton more work, but it will be more structrual, but heavier.......

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

any comments.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thinking...........*What is he talking about?*

I think the idea that would be more structural, yet heavier would be the way to go. Cherokees need all the support they can get, and your plan sounds like a good one. Then you can mount your Exo to something sturdy....

Parker

That is looking better and better. Structurally you'll be lots better off doing it the way you're doing it. It's almost like having a sub-frame in the rear. It looks like a hell of a lot of welding and grinding and cutting though... but that's what makes it fun. Bumper looks good too.

Are you going to run tubes off of the square tube for some type of cage or exo?

How are you going to fill in the hole under the new LED?

Brent

another nobody
also opened up the top of the frame rail from the inside and put in a piece of 2x4x.120 tube in there, this is welded all back up and I'll be welding the rear bumper to it.

Parker

Originally posted by Brent
yea planning on an exo, and the hole under the led is filled, I took a pic I had and photoshopped the shit out of it.

That means it will be Upper Helldorado accessible then, right? :D

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
one WTF is the victim?
two Square is strong as hell but it is heavy.
three Why not go round and avoid some of the corners?
four steel is good... weight isn't a real issue for what you are doing. The exo cage may need to be thought through for weight.

Brent

another nobody
Originally posted by Skyetone
one WTF is the victim?
two Square is strong as hell but it is heavy.
three Why not go round and avoid some of the corners?
four steel is good... weight isn't a real issue for what you are doing. The exo cage may need to be thought through for weight.

one- a 91 cherokee
three- cause its done

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Your plan looks good. Have you seen the XJ from the SEMA show a few years ago? I think it was skyjackers if I remember right. They did a killer bob job on the XJ and tied it into the cage as well.

Brent

another nobody
Originally posted by Jeremy
Hey Brent, will that new bumper still tow my crap home after I try to follow you through a mud puddle again?

that still cracks me up, my little (at the time) 32" sport kings, one deep ass mud hole, and a water line half way up your seat cushion on your full size blazer with how much lift and 33's? Bahahaha

but yea, that bumper is going nowhere, thing is welded to the tube that I put inside the frame rail (2x4x.120 about 4 feet long) and everything else back there including the sheet metal, the spring mounts, the bed sides and corners, and the gas tank,, well the gas tank is bolted to it :D

Brent

another nobody
original, kinda, the choppin the top has been done, some have grafted in the fiberglass hatch to close in the cab, I don't know if any that have used the mj cab to close in the cab, I've seen a four door long bed comanche, and a king cab 3 door comanche, and then the AEV with the cab open. and I've taken some ideas from some of those.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

that still cracks me up, my little (at the time) 32" sport kings, one deep ass mud hole, and a water line half way up your seat cushion on your full size blazer with how much lift and 33's? Bahahaha

yeah, what a great way to lose my offroad virginity.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
yea and a little while later I saw one of the fenders on something else going down the road, I couldn't stop laughing.

Yeah, I saw that too! Ithought maybe someone revived it, but they would have to be both stupid and gifted at the same time!