what to put behind a th400

tiny2085

HomeGrown
I have a th400 with married 203, my problem is that in all of my haste i pulled the range box off in an attempt to make a doubler, but now i can't find a th400 205, what can I do ? what exactly do i need if I don't have a turbo 400 205 and just one from a th350? how hard is it to change the inputs?
anyone have a th400 205 ?

ace

Parts Collector
The case needs to be machined to accept a 32 spline input shaft. I have a 205 from a th400 with a long input shaft. The doubler requires a short input shaft.

tiny2085

HomeGrown
Supergper said:
you can get all the parts you need from www.offroaddesign.com to switch your t350 205 to a t400 version...they also have a ton of info on their site.

yea, but that's an extra $200 for the 205 conversion kit. Stazworks on the pbb has the kit for 450, where ord's is 770$. Is there really that much a difference in the two kits ??

how does 100$ sound for your 205 stef ?

tiny2085

HomeGrown
ace said:
The case needs to be machined to accept a 32 spline input shaft. I have a 205 from a th400 with a long input shaft. The doubler requires a short input shaft.

is it possible to machine a long spline down to the correct length ?

stefdogg

76 Blazer
well, I will think about that one. I got 250.00 for my last one I sold. this one was originally out of a Th350, Six states rebuilt it and machined it out for the larger bearing so it would mate to a Th400

It is in very good shape.

Thanks

tiny2085

HomeGrown
ace said:
The short and long 32 spline are a direct swap if you can find one.

but if the input's are different lengths, how can they use the same adapter plater ?

hey stef, does it have the 32 spline input in it right now ?

Caleb

tiny2085 said:
yea, but that's an extra $200 for the 205 conversion kit. Stazworks on the pbb has the kit for 450, where ord's is 770$. Is there really that much a difference in the two kits ??

how does 100$ sound for your 205 stef ?

billet 6061 aluminum and a one piece design vs. steel two piece design. Also, I would rather go with the ORD over the stazworks (I did) BUT I would go with the Northwest fab over the ORD (Wasn't available when I did my doubler).

ace

Parts Collector
from ORD

NP205 Tech INFO
We've created this section to help our customers learn the ins and outs of the NP205 transfer case. Please keep in mind that this information is presented to be accurate to the best of our knowledge. Don't treat it as absolute truth, the factory did some strange things from time to time.
click here for: NP203/NP205 transfer case ID guide
Input Gear configurations:

Here are the 4 available GM input gear configurations. From left to right: 32 spline "short", 32 spline "long", 10 spline with a worn drivesleeve, 27 spline with a new drivesleeve.
GM used 4 different input gears in the 205. The first is the 10 spline male "coarse" input which came with the SM465 manual transmission. This sticks out from the case about 2". The factory used a fully splined "drive sleeve" to mate the male transmission output shaft to the male t-case input gear. This input gear routinely wears, most commonly in the drivesleeve, but often on the input splines directly. Note the pointed profile on the teeth in the above picture. This drivesleeve has lost about half of its tooth to wear and has a good bit of slop on the shaft. This is the most common 205 setup there is.
The next input is the 27 spline male "fine" input which came with the TH350 transmission. It also used a female drive sleeve between the transmission output shaft and the male t-case input. This shaft sticks out of the case by about 2" also. These gears wear well, but have been know to strip splines out of the drive sleeve, but usually after a long and happy life. The proper shaft stickout from the back of the TH350 case for this 205 configuration is about 7/8". This is the same as the stickout for use with a NP203 transfer case also.
Next up is the biggest and best input, the short 32 spline female. This came with TH400 transmissions and is as strong and as durable as anything can be on a truck. It wears very well and does not use a drive sleeve, so there is one less splined connection to create "slop" (backlash) in the drivetrain. This shaft sticks out of the 205 case by about 1 1/4" and the male transmission shaft plugs directly into it. The proper shaft stickout from the back of the TH400 for this type of 205 input gear is about 4 1/2". This gear configuration is the one necessary to run our GEN2 Doubler kit.
Last is the "long" 32 spline female input gear. This is far less common than the "short" 32 spline input outlined above, but is as strong and durable. This gear will stick out of the 205 case by about 3 1/2". This was used behind later model SM465 trannies and later TH400 trannies, from about '85 to '91 in straight axle 1-ton trucks. Proper shaft stickout from the TH400 is 2 1/2", and the proper SM465 output is the later model 32 spline output shaft with the round bolt pattern adapter housing. This gear will not work with the GEN2 Doubler, but is easily replaced with the short 32 spline input gear.

205 tech