What's wrong here?

Cascadia

Undecided
So I wouldn't consider this an atv, utv, or dirt bike. But I was using it off road when it broke down on me. I use my 05 Yamaha Zuma to set up running trail races every year. We put 4 races on a year in the mountains and it takes too much time to do it running or any other way. The zuma is perfect for it. Lots of torque for a scooter, suspension that works, wider tires, and a compartment under the seat to carry my materials. Last year I was coming down from the race set up and all the sudden I lost all power to the wheel. The motor was turning and it would rev just fine but the back tire would barely spin.

I finally got around to it today. I took the case off and found the belt totally loose. It is in perfect shape but it is totally slack. Am i missing something or what do I need to do to get it tightened back up. It looks like that' what the issue is to me.

photo-8.jpgphoto-7.jpgphoto-6.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
It looks to be using a centrifugal/centripetal torque converter setup, thus it needs the play. You might call the dealer and see if they can tell you how much play the belt should have.

SpeedyVic

Looks almost like the same setup they have in snowmobiles. My guess would be that the belt is ok, but the mechanism in the centrifugal clutch is seized in some way. when belts fail in setups like that, they just seem to get shredded up and not stretched. I don't think the zuma puts out enough horses to do much to the belt and if it did, you would feel it gradually and not all of a sudden.

Check this out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Zuma+Clutch+failure&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

Try Provoscooter.com

Last edited: