Where did the AFC cars go?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Finally getting around to posting some pics :D

The U4WDA & the US Forest service worked with a Alpine Boy Scout to get a couple of abandoned cars out of the North Fork area :D

A couple pics
AF_Car_Removal_003.jpg

AF_Car_Removal_005.jpg

AF_Car_Removal_008.jpg

AF_Car_Removal_010.jpg

More here:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/PG_AFcar_removal.html

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I Lean said:
That ATV have a drivetrain in it still? I want one....

They actually drove it back down to the trailer... it had only been there 5 minutes before we rolled up :eek:

This is the 3rd ATV we have pulled out of the river... :D

attachment.php

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
James K said:
is one of the cars the white nova thats been up there forever?

I had always thought it was a Nova, turns out it was a Skylark as EZ mentioned... it is the one that was off the switchback of Lower Major Evans Gulch (above Graveyard Flats). The one you were thinking of?

There are still two other cars in the canyon, they are both up higher above Silver Flat Resevoir, one is a Jeep Wagoneer, and the other is a Suburu station wagon that went over a 100+ yard hill... :eek: They are both on private property and it may be a while before they are moved...

James K

NO, I'm always like this
cruiseroutfit said:
I had always thought it was a Nova, turns out it was a Skylark as EZ mentioned... it is the one that was off the switchback of Lower Major Evans Gulch (above Graveyard Flats). The one you were thinking of?

There are still two other cars in the canyon, they are both up higher above Silver Flat Resevoir, one is a Jeep Wagoneer, and the other is a Suburu station wagon that went over a 100+ yard hill... :eek: They are both on private property and it may be a while before they are moved...
I always thought that trail was a bit narrow to get a 4x4 up, but from the pic it looks plenty wide enough.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
James K said:
I always thought that trail was a bit narrow to get a 4x4 up, but from the pic it looks plenty wide enough.

It is wide enough for a 4x4 all the way to where the road pretty much dead ends. There was alot of speculation at one time that the road somehow used to continue up to an intersection with Upper Major Evans Gulch (the road from the Silver Flat Res. side). However, EZ and I have searched high and low and never found any sign of it. There is a small amount of mining activity at the top, most of it actually looks like it was quarry'ed rather than conventionally shaft mined, but there could be cave-ins, etc over the last 100 years.

There is also a small cabin at the base of the canyon, EZ has a cool pic of it somewhere. I have always wanted to hike down the canyon to the intersection of the main NF AF canyon road, there is supposed to be some old mining remnants... I have been on the old road that used to go from graveyard flats to the main road (via the switchbacks) that are no longer open to motorized use.

PS, sorry for the late reply ;)