Which ATV

Medsker

2024 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
So I have almost no knowledge of ATV's or motorcycles (except Harley's). Some of you know I moved down to the Mojave desert. As I have been exploring the 1000's of miles of dirt roads through the desert I've noticed many places where people have dumped trash. This of course blows all over in our high winds (gusted up to 50 mph last week). Some of you also know I am retired (married to a hot redhead sugar mama). I would like to buy one of those 4x8 trailers from Harbor Freight and put sides on it and clean up the desert. I could pull it with my truck but it gets 12 mpg which would add up ($4.23 a gallon) real quick. So I am looking for a ATV or a motorcycle? like the TW200? Like I said I know nothing, but would like to keep it to $1500 or less. Can a reliable ATV be bought for that much? What mileage do they get? What brand is best (I know this is very subjective)? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks All

Medsker

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have a lot of ATV's, I would never buy an atv for $1,500.00 or less, you may not make it back.....

Just saying,,

carsonc1974

$1500 is pretty cheap for a reliable atv, but who knows, you might get lucky and find something. Second note, i dont think i would pull any kind of trailer with a tw200.

If only the world had more people like you to go out of there way and try and help clean up. Its a shame the messes people leave without a second thought.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The tw stand for totally worthless. They ride like crap, handle like crap and have no power. You could buy a Yamaha timberwolf for close to your price. They are as bulletproof as any bike I have been around. Two wheel drive will work great for what you are using it for. Yamaha changed the name to a bear tracker? Same bike.
They are a 250 and will get in the 40mpg range. Good luck and thank you for cleaning up after stupid people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medsker

Thanks for the replies. That is why I love this forum...you can learn about any topic. I will keep looking and see what I can find and then post it and get opinions.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
What do you need the ATV to do? If you're planning to carry out huge trash bags you will need racks, and likely a heavier machine to handle the weight. If something sporty with a smaller rear rack will do, pick up an older Honda 400EX in good condition. You can find them in that price range all day long. They are as reliable as a chisel, and pretty sporty for higher speed desert riding.

Jared

Medsker

I was thinking of pulling a small trailer behind it. Something like those 4x8 ones at Harbor Freight. I will look into that honda on craigslist down here.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Tell ya what, I have a 96 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 make you a good deal, hasn't been ridden for awhile and could use a little tune up. Let me know if you are interested.

Medsker

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but my uncle died so I have been attending the viewing and funeral. I will let you know Shawn. I'm trying to figure out if I need one or not.