Which Drill press?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am looking to get a new drill press. I want a full size not a table top. I mostly care about it drilling metal, but will use it for wood as well. I get totally lost when I start comparing models and amps and all that. Probably looking for 110 power, but possibly 220.

What models are working for RME? What features should I look for? How many speeds are nice?

I have a budget of 500 or less.

STAG

Well I had one in mind, until I saw the last line.

We have a full sized (floor mounted) Delta one. But it was $800. It's been great to us.

*edit added pics
5F11F294-C53E-4012-93CC-918B6AC94D85_zpsxxrpwdpl.jpg

F72982CF-C305-4E50-B3C1-AAA0CAF8ADF1_zpsmboiauuu.jpg

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Well I had one in mind, until I saw the last line.

We have a full sized (floor mounted) Delta one. But it was $800. It's been great to us.

I could always save for a little longer if none in the <500 range are any good.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The slow speed is the one that's hardest to get. Slower RPM is better for our uses. (ability to go slower, I mean...it's easy to get fast speeds with any of them)

Mine is just a Harbor Freight one, it's fairly old and has been pretty good. I've heard the newer HF models aren't as good as the old ones though. There are certainly better ones out there, but it's worked for me.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The slow speed is the one that's hardest to get. Slower RPM is better for our uses. (ability to go slower, I mean...it's easy to get fast speeds with any of them)

Mine is just a Harbor Freight one, it's fairly old and has been pretty good. I've heard the newer HF models aren't as good as the old ones though. There are certainly better ones out there, but it's worked for me.

What RPMs are we looking for in a nice slow speed machine?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
What RPMs are we looking for in a nice slow speed machine?

Mine claims 170 RPM at the slowest, if you believe HF's specs. ;) Most I'm seeing are something like 200-220 RPM at minimum though.

This Grizzly looks pretty good, and claims 140 RPM. http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-14-Floor-Drill-Press/G7944

This one from Northern might be similar to mine, but claims 210 RPM http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...i_sku=155303&gclid=COOjxaLjzL4CFYeUfgod2ngAKw

As long as I'm linking, this HF one doesn't look too terrible. http://www.harborfreight.com/17-in-floor-mount-drill-press-16-speed-61487.html

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have an old Harbor Freight that works well, but I don't use it a ton.

My dad is a big fan of Grizzly stuff. He has their table saw and router table. From what I know, they are solid.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I have a Rigid 15" model that I have had for ~6 years. We've used it for a ton of metal and zero complaints. I'm pretty sure we picked it up from Home Depot and it was ~$400.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Mesha, 300 RPM will pretty much handle whatever you need, especially if you drill in steps to get to some of the larger sizes and use cutting fluid.

I'm not sure what size/depth of holes will you be drilling? If you'll be near the 1" mark (max), you'll want a machine that can do the 300 rpm. On most drill speed charts you'll see that 270 rpm is about the lowest speed rec'd. That changes when drill depths increase. Figure a 10% decrease in speed when the work-piece is 3x the diameter of the bit, 20% for 4x, 30 for 5x, etc. If that's the case, a machine that hits a tad lower target, say the 270 RPM machine, may be a bit more helpful.

I'm learning a machine can be too slow, as well. My drill press is far too slow for the majority of work I do on it. I need to change a pulley to pick the speed up a bit. I haven't messed with the math to figure it out, though.

That is some helpful information right there! :cool:

I have an old Harbor Freight that works well, but I don't use it a ton.

My dad is a big fan of Grizzly stuff. He has their table saw and router table. From what I know, they are solid.

I have had pretty good luck with harbor freight stuff. I am just having a hard time spending a big chunk of money on a harbor freight tool :( All that said, once I bought a more name brand tool I wondered how I got by with the harbor freight stuff.

From what I have read about grizzly most people like them.
I have a Rigid 15" model that I have had for ~6 years. We've used it for a ton of metal and zero complaints. I'm pretty sure we picked it up from Home Depot and it was ~$400.

I was looking at home depot for a Rigid drill press because I really love all my rigid tools. They have been great. I couldn't find one. I guess it is time to search the interwebz.

neagtea

Supporting Member
With the budget of 500 you are limited to HF, Lowes or Home Depot I think the rigid will get it done.
Seems like the tool place on main and 34ish south starts in the 500 range. Stop by and look.
You could buy the HF and the warranty (one time replacement iirc) so if it goes junk you are covered for a couple years.