Which Winch?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I’d run it. I’ve been to the badlands factory and it shared all the same manufacturing equipment as the Warn factory. They had separate entrance doors, but it was just one big open building inside.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm fortunate (or unfortunate?) to get to use a winch often, sometimes several times in a single week. Between personal endeavors, the Utah Off Road Recovery Team and the training/guiding I do with I4WDTA, OEX and private/military classes... I've been spooling them in and out quite a bit. There are some great winches out there, and there are some junky ones too. Our UORRT team members lose a few winches each season, the brands are often the ones you'd imagine. Warn, ComeUp, Superwinch and others are known entities with many success stories (and naturally with large volume companies, plenty of complainers too). But there are some others making big changes, Smittybuilt while still not on the very top shelf imo has made some massive QC improvements to much of their product line over the last 5 years, much of that due to their new engineering staff (all from motorsports industry) and affiliation with Polaris. While it's not my personal go-to (Warn and ComeUp are), I'm not as scared of them as I used to be :D A winch & recovery gear is the last place I'm looking to save money, the load ratings off-brand companies use has zero validation requirements in the US and there are proven instances of companies straight up falsifying their load ratings and tossing them on Amazon or eBay. Use a vetted companies gear and you can be comfortable knowing the WLL/MTS, etc are all where you need to be. I've never been packing up after a successful recovery and thought to myself "I should have bought cheaper gear and it might have just done that too".

Wire vs synthetic rope. The debate won't ever end but IMO for recreational winch users, synthetic just makes more sense. That said anyone running from a wire rope is simply running the wrong wire rope. If it's failing due to load or damage, you didn't do your job. Industries that use winches all day-everday, often use wire rope, think wreckers. For example we just delivered a pallet of 15k ComeUp wire-rope winches to a local wrecker (he's on RME, I'll let him chime in) and they specify wire-rope. Just holds up to the things they do. On a personal level, I'm switching all of my used winches to synthetic if not already, we've been doing some group buys on 600' spools of Sampson 7/16" synthetic and building winch ropes and extensions. I've used the extensions a great deal this last year particularly, our honey-hole of recoveries is Bountiful B and about everyone of them is a vehicle 100-250' feet off the road. Synthetic is just so great to work with, easy to pack/store/clean and while it's expensive up front, with care it lasts a long time.

As a note on ComeUp. We (Cruiser Outfitters) started using them years ago when Warn started discontinuing many of their 24V models. Many of the JDM Land Cruisers we sell, service, build and use are 24V systems and we needed a solution. I tried one on my personal BJ74 and and a few more after and really liked them. Fast forward to 2018 and we did our traverse across the long-axis of Greenland in Arctic Truck prepared HiLuxes, all running ComeUp Winches. I was pumped to see them as I had my great experiences and knew we would be using them quite a bit on the trip (little did I know how often). Emil, the owner/founder of Arctic Trucks was on that journey with us and the two of us spent a great deal of time 'talking trucks' in the 22 waking hours a day we had together for a month :D. I asked them what kind of a deal they had with ComeUp to and he told me none... they just worked for their severe duty needs and they paid full price to get them on the vehicles with no solicitation or offer of endorsement or deal, they just needed winches that work in the most austere conditions. These are trucks that go to the North & South Pole and crossing Greenland. Had winches failed on us, we may have been forced to start leaving stuff behind.

Re: Factor 55. There stuff is totally gucci, and it's totally a great tool or piece of gear for many applications with known engineered results and testing, I support that. Something can have absolutely form factor and absolute function, F55 proves that. Many have come along and copy/pasted their gear and it shows. I'm a 'buy-once cry-once' and more importantly reward innovation kind of guy. F55 gets my personal dollars. The cost delta in their stuff and knock-offs isn't going to change any 4x4 enthusiasts lifestyle, reward their innovation. I've also been slowly investing in my own assortment of Safe Xtract recover gear, it's amazing stuff and becoming standard equipment for US soldiers operating anything from Rzrs to Tanks. Their stuff is costly but lifetime imo and for me it makes sense to be using while training (along with other gear) as it's not going to disappoint.

Last edited:

The_Lobbster

And this is exactly how false rumors get propagated...
But if it's true? Which I can totally believe it. He's now the second source that I've heard this from. After the Snap On/Harbor Freight floor jack fiasco, I wouldn't doubt it one bit. Just seems to be how everything goes anymore.

over on the Ih8mud forum, Warn industries themselves replied to a thread stating that their VR line came from a factory manufacturing their winch line exclusively, and that all their other winches are made in Oregon with globally sourced parts. So I guess it boils down to who/what you trust in.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
But if it's true? Which I can totally believe it. He's now the second source that I've heard this from. After the Snap On/Harbor Freight floor jack fiasco, I wouldn't doubt it one bit. Just seems to be how everything goes anymore.

over on the Ih8mud forum, Warn industries themselves replied to a thread stating that their VR line came from a factory manufacturing their winch line exclusively, and that all their other winches are made in Oregon with globally sourced parts. So I guess it boils down to who/what you trust in.

I was totally being a smart aleck. No truth whatsoever.

However, after reading the Forbes article about supply chains, anything makes sense.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

It's not. Warn manufactures in several China facilities using their own QC team that the other winch companies don't employ. This came from the engineering rep of a major winch company in the same type of facility but not with the same QC level. So I doubt he would be interested in good-mouthing the competitors winch manufacturing :D

China is absolutely massive. I'd suspect there are hundreds if not thousands of facilities that could product winches and/or winch parts. To think there is a single source facility making most of the roof-top-tents, or the lions share of winches is about as practical as a single bakery making the majority of cookies in the US.

Hey all,

Just wanted to pop in to address a few things and clear some stuff up.

The WARN VR EVO winches are the only winches we offer that have a final point of assembly of China. The winches are also up to our QC as @cruiseroutfit stated (we wouldn't put our name on them otherwise). They are also tested in house in Oregon.

All our other winches leave our factory in Clackamas, Oregon. Much like the 4x4s we drive, they've got parts from all around the world including the USA. For example, our gears are cut in-house. We also manufacture the vast majority of our bumpers and mounting systems in Clackamas, where raw steel comes in, and fabricated bumpers come out. All our winches (and bumpers) are also pull tested, something many other manufacturers don't do, especially with their bumpers and mounting systems.

Yes, we have some sourced products. However, we also employ 400 American workers in Clackamas (myself included) who are shaping, cutting, grinding, assembling, and packaging, our products. Not to mention other "ing" words like designing, engineering, testing, and marketing the goods.

- Andy

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Hey all,

The WARN VR EVO winches are the only winches we offer that have a final point of assembly of China. The winches are also up to our QC as @cruiseroutfit stated (we wouldn't put our name on them otherwise). They are also tested in house in Oregon.

All our other winches leave our factory in Clackamas, Oregon. Much like the 4x4s we drive, they've got parts from all around the world including the USA. For example, our gears are cut in-house. We also manufacture the vast majority of our bumpers and mounting systems in Clackamas, where raw steel comes in, and fabricated bumpers come out. All our winches (and bumpers) are also pull tested, something many other manufacturers don't do, especially with their bumpers and mounting systems.

Yes, we have some sourced products. However, we also employ 400 American workers in Clackamas (myself included) who are shaping, cutting, grinding, assembling, and packaging, our products. Not to mention other "ing" words like designing, engineering, testing, and marketing the goods.

- Andy
Thanks for chiming in!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Hey all,

- Andy

Welcome to RME Andy!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hey all,

- Andy

Awesome to have Warn join in the discussion and set things straight! And thanks for stepping up to be a Supporting Vendor on here, too! I didn't realize all the Warn winches are tested in house, in Oregon! That's going the extra mile.

I am really torn on getting a warn or superwinch....Mostyl the 12k evo or the superwinch talon. Both seem to have good speeds and decent warranties...

I currently have a smittybilt 12k. No compliants other than its slow, and my cable is whooped..and the controller needs help.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
The ComeUP Blazer M3 is just an engineering masterpiece!

Pricey!! @$5400-ish bucks!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor

That's neat! And here I was thinking only gigglepin did that type of thing.

The_Lobbster

That’s sick, but for $5400, they could at least figure out a way to cover all those little wires and power bars. At first I figured it was just to show what’s underneath, but then I saw a pic of it mounted up and muddy, looks like it would be easy to rip off one of those little wires, then be stuck with a boat anchor.