Who has switched from dirtbikes or quads or 4x4 to utv's?

pELYgroso

'Merica
I'm currently rigless but I have a dirtbike. My wife also has a dirtbike but hasn't ridden it in a couple years due to having a 1 year old and a 4 year old. I'm considering selling the bikes and getting a 4 seater utv and toy hauler, and ditching the plans of getting a rig in the next couple years. Who has done this? I know that it is more expensive but the goal is to get my family out more and I feel like this will do it. Also considering a motor home and a cheap boat, but I think we'd use the utv more. Thoughts?

jentzschman

If I had a family I could see having a 4 seater for that very reason, being able to have the family out together. It would be difficult to give up a bike however.

D

Deleted member 12904

All great ideas aside from ditching the bike. Keep it and do all the other stuff.

Caleb

I've considered buying a UTV for this exact reason. I still don't think my wife would go all that often, but I know my 4 year old boy would have a blast going out riding with me. When I buy me a new bike, I'll be getting him one as well, but it's different going to ride dirt bikes with him versus going out on a UTV with him. I won't be giving up dirtbikes for it, but I would own a UTV in a second for the very same reason you're considering doing it.

Tonkaman

All great ideas aside from ditching the bike. Keep it and do all the other stuff.

I agree with this. Bikes and UTVs are too different to compare head on. Selling the bikes doesn't really give you much cash for the UTV so there isn't much sense in selling them at all

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I have a friend who did this. Sold his 2 seat comp crawler for a 4 seat Can Am because he's got a 4 and 1 year old.
He gets out much more now... still 15k is like 5 times your bike + another k for a trailer.

flexyfool

GDW
4 seater utv and toy hauler... motor home and a cheap boat...

Either combo is serious money compared to a couple dirt bikes!

The UTV would be the better choice, by far, in my opinion. A boat may seem like a good idea in July but not in January.

The only few issues I can see with a UTV is that I have heard several people claim that it is not reliable compared to a dirt bike or ATV. It is more expensive to maintain and upgrade. Some models get very hot in the cab. You are pretty much locked out of the national forest trail system except for boring service roads. There is so much more available for <= 50 inch width ATV and even more available for dirt bike. If you are stuck on service roads, why not just get a 4x4 that will be more comfortable. This may not be an issue in Utah compared to Idaho.

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Either combo is serious money compared to a couple dirt bikes!

The UTV would be the better choice, by far, in my opinion. A boat may seem like a good idea in July but not in January.

The only few issues I can see with a UTV is that I have heard several people claim that it is not reliable compared to a dirt bike or ATV. It is more expensive to maintain and upgrade. Some models get very hot in the cab. You are pretty much locked out of the national forest trail system except for boring service roads. There is so much more available for <= 50 inch width ATV and even more available for dirt bike. If you are stuck on service roads, why not just get a 4x4 that will be more comfortable. This may not be an issue in Utah compared to Idaho.

I would love a UTV, other then the exact fact you make... There is only one UTV that can be taken through a 50" gate, everything else you can drive a 4x4 on. You can pick up some pretty sweet street legal rigs for the price of a UTV and drive them to the trail. I dont see the UTV manufacturers pushing money to get trail's open for them and I see them getting used more around town then off road. I guess the only positive thing would be that you can loan on them more easily then some 4x4 rigs.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm with them, I don't see the point of having a UTV/SxS for the trail at all. I guess if you were sand bashing or running high speed roads, but for tooling around the mountains with the family? For the money you'd drop on a UTV and a trailer, you could get a pretty sweet little Jeep or Yota or Sammy or whatever and have money left over for a couple mods, and you wouldn't have to mess with trailering it to wherever you're going.

So i guess I'm asking, what is it the UTV would bring that a new rig wouldn't, and is that enough to outweigh the drawbacks? If your family isn't getting out in whatever vehicles you have now, they won't get out in the UTV either once the "new" factor wears off. I vote you make do with what you've got, drop the kids at the inlaws a couple times so you and the wife can ride together, and in a couple years your oldest will be ready to ride their own bike and the youngest will be old enough to hang on the back of a quad and you'll be set.

BoostedRNR

I would own one in a heartbeat if they didn't cost so much! I could still dump another 10 grand into my 4runner and be into it less than I would a utv. I love that I can roll the windows up in my 4runner, crank the a/c or heater, and not have to eat dust. The only place I would really enjoy one, would be the dunes. I don't ever see myself selling my dirt bike and getting a utv for a replacement. I would be buying one more for the wife and kids.

D

Deleted member 12904

Having owned a few jeeps and a few utv's I think comparing the two is about as fair as comparing a jeep to a half ton truck and pointing out everything the truck can do the jeep can't for the same amount of money. They are so different in what they do and how well they do it.

Utv's are expensive to buy into but buy a $15k-$20k utv and it will maintain some value spend $15k-$20k building a jeep to perform off road as well as a utv and you will be lucky to see half that back if you ever sell it.

Bottom line is a utv is smaller, faster and much much smoother off road than a jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flexyfool

GDW
Bottom line is a utv is smaller, faster and much much smoother off road than a jeep.

They most definitely fulfill the need-for-speed and are easier to tow.

I know 2 people who went from buggies to high-end UTV's. One guy sold the buggy and 1 ton tow rig. He tows the UTV with a litte trailer and 1/2 ton truck. He says he will never own a buggy again. The 2nd guy gave his buggy to his kid. It is a very nice buggy.

I know another guy who has a low-end UTV. He drives it around the subdivision to get the mail and haul stuff. He has a lot of minor complaints and says he would never tow it someplace to play with. He prefers his buggy.

D

Deleted member 12904

They most definitely fulfill the need-for-speed and are easier to tow.

I know 2 people who went from buggies to high-end UTV's. One guy sold the buggy and 1 ton tow rig. He tows the UTV with a litte trailer and 1/2 ton truck. He says he will never own a buggy again. The 2nd guy gave his buggy to his kid. It is a very nice buggy.

I know another guy who has a low-end UTV. He drives it around the subdivision to get the mail and haul stuff. He has a lot of minor complaints and says he would never tow it someplace to play with. He prefers his buggy.

I agree they are just totally different. I really just get sick of people comparing them to jeeps.

Sure I would love a jeep if they didn't cost so much. But for the same price I could own a 4x4 truck and can actually haul a sheet of plywood or tow something bigger than a jet ski if I want.

Its this kind of argument that seems silly to me. A jeep isn't a truck just like a UTV isn't a jeep. Yes they are expensive. Yes you (Not directed at anyone in particular ) would rather have a jeep and that's fine but they are far from the same thing.

And for the record when I bought my first Rhino back in 07 it was for my wife and I was a UTV hater and thought they where overpriced golf carts and also made the comparison to jeeps. But I can honestly say my UTV's are far more fun than any jeep I have ever owned by a long shot. And not just blasting the desert or dunes but also on trails for both jeeps and ATV's. They really are a multi sport setup I can get a rush running fast on desert trails or I can have fun putting up a dirt canyon road to have picnic with the family because it is at home doing both.

larrybenny

larrybenny
The last 2 years I have been into sports quads, doing the dunes with paddles and dirt with dirt tires. the wife will not get on them. Rented a UTV but was not happy with lack of power. I bought a wrecked sandrail and re-built it last winter. It does dirt and sand. There is no other thrill as climbing the dunes with 250 hp in a 1100 lb machine, but it will not do rockcrawling. Still have the rock crawler 91 Jeep with 5.3 conversion, but may sell it for the right price. The wife will ride in the sand rail. It is nice to have equip for several types of driving.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm with Kevin. We had this argument about getting out camping on here before. Having more gear isn't going to make you get out more just like having a certain vehicle won't either.

The reason I don't have a sxs is because I couldn't justify having to take out a loan on a toy. My neighbor has a really nice sxs but he's into it just under $30k and that's how much my tow rig cost. Too high $ for this guy. I like the idea of the cheap beater sxs killer like a kick/track or even a Sami.

D

Deleted member 12904

I'm with Kevin. We had this argument about getting out camping on here before. Having more gear isn't going to make you get out more just like having a certain vehicle won't either.

The reason I don't have a sxs is because I couldn't justify having to take out a loan on a toy. My neighbor has a really nice sxs but he's into it just under $30k and that's how much my tow rig cost. Too high $ for this guy. I like the idea of the cheap beater sxs killer like a kick/track or even a Sami.

I totally agree with you that it wont get you out more or even that you will have more fun. I think someone could have just as much fun off road in a kick/track or Sami as a UTV. But in what world aside from pavement could a kick/track or even a Sami be a SxS killer?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I totally agree with you that it wont get you out more or even that you will have more fun. I think someone could have just as much fun off road in a kick/track or Sami as a UTV. But in what world aside from pavement could a kick/track or even a Sami be a SxS killer?

I didn't mean it as they're better or even that they're a legitimate replacement. Just what I've heard people call them before. Don't let me hurt your feelgoods ;)

D

Deleted member 12904

I didn't mean it as they're better or even that they're a legitimate replacement. Just what I've heard people call them before. Don't let me hurt your feelgoods ;)

Since we are already off subject. Sorry to OP. Here are a few examples I really like of the budget UTV thing. Although I still don't think you could build these for less then a RZR s would cost.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
For 20k you could build a Sami that would make a SXS look silly.... they do it in cali because you have to wear a helmet in a SXS but if you build a Sami or kick you have no helmet law.

And one more thing to remember is aside from private ground and the dunes, all roads have a speed limit.. and its usually like 35mph

Last edited: