Northern Utah Willard Peak Run Friday Evening to Watch 4th of July Fireworks

Shane

My buddy and I are planning to head up to Willard Peak Friday evening to watch the 4th of July Fireworks. I have done this quite a few times but haven't done it for maybe 15 years or so but I remember it being pretty cool. You can see the firework shows from Brigham, Willard, and several from the Ogden area.

If anyone would like to join us lets plan on meeting at the parking area at the mouth of the canyon in Mantua around 7pm. Bring your chairs, jackets and binoculars. It should be a good time.

CobraNutt

What's the trail like heading to there from that side? Haven't lifted the Liberty yet, so considering talk conditions is kinda big for the moment. ...and, I might drag my trailer up and spend the night if there's a decent place to camp.

XJEEPER

I was up there last year about this time and short of any major erosion (shouldn't be, with the lame winter we had) your stock Liberty should do just fine. There are a few campsites in the basin, not sure how these are allocated though.

Shane

Like XJEEPER said, ya shouldn't have any problems with the Liberty, the road is very easy going. I went up about a month ago and couldn't get any further than the switch backs just past the reservoir cause of the snow but that should be all melted by now. There may still be some up higher near the peak but making it to the basin shouldn't be a problem. That's also a good spot to watch the fireworks. You can see Logan's from there if ya drive over to the north side. There are several good camping spots at the basin but the last couple of times I have been there they have all been taken (first come first serve) and I would bet they will be taken cause of the holiday.

If you're gonna pull a trailer I would campout at Lower Docs or Upper Docs or maybe even Devils Gate but I wouldn't try and pull it up further without knowing for sure that there are spots available. If ya just take a tent ya can campout just about anywhere along the way.

CobraNutt

It's a tent trailer...off-road worthy...I just need a fairly flat spot to park it.
IMG_0275-L.jpg

We'll see what Friday brings. I haven't decided if I want to stay up there or not. It's probably a better weekend to simply drive up and back,and reserve camping for another trip. Not really wanting to fight the crowds. lol!

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
My buddy and I are planning to head up to Willard Peak Friday evening to watch the 4th of July Fireworks. I have done this quite a few times but haven't done it for maybe 15 years or so but I remember it being pretty cool. You can see the firework shows from Brigham, Willard, and several from the Ogden area.

If anyone would like to join us lets plan on meeting at the parking area at the mouth of the canyon in Mantua around 7pm. Bring your chairs, jackets and binoculars. It should be a good time.

Might be in. I'd be bringing the family, is it a party scene up there or fairly mellow?

CobraNutt

Which trailer setup is that?
It's my JUMPING JACK X4 that I picked up last month. Not much info out there for it yet as they just started production in May. Mine is one of the early prototype models. Love it!
Might be in. I'd be bringing the family, is it a party scene up there or fairly mellow?
Pretty sure I'm going to head up with the Liberty and leave the trailer at home. My area will be fairly mellow...I'm too old for the party scene stuff! lol! :)

Last edited:

Shane

Cool ... Sounds like I'm a lot like Gary, pretty mellow and too old for the party scene. Quit drinking 12 years ago and haven't had a drop since.
I'm sure there will be others up there, running around on 4 wheelers and side by sides, but it shouldn't be too crazy.
I hope the kids like it though ... The fireworks are a ways away, it's not like being at the park where you're laying on the ground with fireworks going off over your head and lots of loud noises, but it's still cool to watch. If Willard has their show this year they will be going off directly below us so that could be cool.

Anyone else that might make it?

Shane

Cool ... looking forward to meeting ya both. I'll be in the white Rodeo pictured below.
IMG_0312_001.jpg

Last edited:

Donner

Isuzu junkie
Cool ... Sounds like I'm a lot like Gary, pretty mellow and too old for the party scene. Quit drinking 12 years ago and haven't had a drop since.
I'm sure there will be others up there, running around on 4 wheelers and side by sides, but it shouldn't be too crazy.
I hope the kids like it though ... The fireworks are a ways away, it's not like being at the park where you're laying on the ground with fireworks going off over your head and lots of loud noises, but it's still cool to watch. If Willard has their show this year they will be going off directly below us so that could be cool.

Anyone else that might make it?

Ah! I won't be ready. I'm getting aligned Saturday morning or I would definitely be there!

I am with ya buddy,
I quit drinking 12 hours ago and haven't had a drop since. :)

Donner

Isuzu junkie
What's the trail like heading to there from that side? Haven't lifted the Liberty yet, so considering talk conditions is kinda big for the moment. ...and, I might drag my trailer up and spend the night if there's a decent place to camp.
The last time I was up there someone was at the overlook in a minivan. It was a couple of years ago, thing certainly could have changed a lot.

Shane

Thanks for coming guys! It was great meeting Gary and Kevin and his family.
The ride was great, fireworks cool to watch and the view was amazing.
Gary I hope ya post some of your pics, I would love to see them.

CobraNutt

Thanks for leading the way, Shane! It was great to meet you and Tim as well as Kevin and the fam! That's a terrific drive and awesome view location! Can't wait to go back when it's not so crowded and find a good campsite asking the way. I'll post pics when I get them uploaded sometime later tomorrow..I mean...today. :)