Winch anchors on Pritchett

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Just an FYI... There are now winch anchors installed in Pritchett canyon, just above Rocker Knocker, the top of the nasty little hill just before RockPile, and the top of Yellow Hill. Should help with safety, and NO MORE REASON TO TAKE THE "BYPASS" AT ROCKER KNOCKER.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
drtsqrl said:
NO MORE REASON TO TAKE THE "BYPASS" AT ROCKER KNOCKER.

you would think that, but no people will still use it because they go up there unprepared for what they are going to run into .

thanks for the info though

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Badger said:
you would think that, but no people will still use it because they go up there unprepared for what they are going to run into .
It's not just unprepared. If you have never done the trail and you see two well traveled paths, who is there to tell them which path is the proper?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
well then it would seem this trail needs some work or some fencing to keep people on the straight and narrow.maybe some trail marker signs?

and no i haven't been up the trail. been trying to make it up there.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thanks for the update Jeff. What is being done to the old bypass? (eliminated I hope)

Is this all part of the County situation?

Saw the writeup of the Moab Rim work you guys did in the paper... COOL :cool:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I would love to see the bypasses fenced in for a couple years to help it grow back in so people won't keep following the tracks.

Thanks for the upadate, drtsqrl. I hope people really do use them when they need them.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Herzog said:
I would love to see the bypasses fenced in for a couple years to help it grow back in so people won't keep following the tracks.

Thanks for the upadate, drtsqrl. I hope people really do use them when they need them.

I'll do everything I can to be there if there's a project date.

Steve

Who Cares?
I'm glad to hear about the winch anchors, good work! I've only run Pritchett a couple of times, and not since they "paved" the entrance. Here's a question: which route is the "official" route on Rocker Knocker??? The times I've run the trail both sides look equally used (and abused) and without some kind of signage or something I have no idea which side is correct - or if both are? I don't see how anyone can be blamed for using the "bypass" when there's no indication which route is the bypass? :confused:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Steve said:
I'm glad to hear about the winch anchors, good work! I've only run Pritchett a couple of times, and not since they "paved" the entrance. Here's a question: which route is the "official" route on Rocker Knocker??? The times I've run the trail both sides look equally used (and abused) and without some kind of signage or something I have no idea which side is correct - or if both are? I don't see how anyone can be blamed for using the "bypass" when there's no indication which route is the bypass? :confused:

Tough to argue with that. The trail I've seen the past 8 years or so has run up Rocker Knocker (to the right of the 'rocker knocker'). The left side bypass has been there about the past 3-4 years. Rockpile never had a 'bypass' until about the same time (there did seem to be two routes, but you still had to climb).

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
drtsqrl said:
Just an FYI... There are now winch anchors installed in Pritchett canyon, just above Rocker Knocker, the top of the nasty little hill just before RockPile, and the top of Yellow Hill. Should help with safety, and NO MORE REASON TO TAKE THE "BYPASS" AT ROCKER KNOCKER.

We have always called that nasty little hill just before Rock Pile “Amen Corner”. ‘Cause you thank God you made it.
Thanks Jeff, I guess you put them in this last weekend? We went up as far as Rocker Knocker right after we had breakfast with you at MickyD’s. A little mud and ice makes Rocker Knocker almost undoable.
This photo is the right way to go on RK. The line would be to make a left to where I was standing taking the photo and then a right up the trail. The bypass is in back of me.
Todd

Attachments

• rk.jpg
    rk.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
mbryson said:
I'll do everything I can to be there if there's a project date.

As will I, time permitting.

I really hate to see fences on the trails. Kinda takes away from the natural beauty of the area. But if that's what it takes to keep the bypasses from being used, then so be it. Especially if they can be temporary gates.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Herzog said:
As will I, time permitting.

I really hate to see fences on the trails. Kinda takes away from the natural beauty of the area. But if that's what it takes to keep the bypasses from being used, then so be it. Especially if they can be temporary gates.
I don't mind the wood a-frame type fences. Like this.
monner4843.jpg

Last edited:

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Originally posted by Steve
I'm glad to hear about the winch anchors, good work! I've only run Pritchett a couple of times, and not since they "paved" the entrance. Here's a question: which route is the "official" route on Rocker Knocker??? The times I've run the trail both sides look equally used (and abused) and without some kind of signage or something I have no idea which side is correct - or if both are? I don't see how anyone can be blamed for using the "bypass" when there's no indication which route is the bypass?

The original and official route is up the steps (the route on the right side as you come to it). The bypass appeared a few years ago, and is now as well established as the original. There is a good chance that some "buck and rail" fencing will be installed, along with signage, sometime in the future to discourage use of the bypass. I'll post here when a date is set. It would be great to have a RME work party!

As for the RockPile bypass, BLM has agreed to let it be. Since RockPile (without the "pile") is impossible for 98 percent of the rigs on Pritchett, and the bypass is on the non-WSA side of the trail, it was decided to leave it in order to help reduce bottle-necks and traffic jams. Unfortunatley, yet another RockPile bypass has recently emerged (looks like it was started by dirt bikes and ATVs, now is getting pretty chewed up by jeeps). It has been posted, but we really need to do some "rehabilitation" work on it.

Jeff

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
I'll get some pics of the anchors up tonight.

We've been calling the obstacle right before the Rockpile, Axle Hill. Last year Drtsqrl's wife broke 2 axle shafts and a carrier on that hill.

The anchors should be very handy, and are very unobtrusive.

Steve

Who Cares?
drtsqrl said:
The original and official route is up the steps (the route on the right side as you come to it). The bypass appeared a few years ago, and is now as well established as the original. There is a good chance that some "buck and rail" fencing will be installed, along with signage, sometime in the future to discourage use of the bypass.

Jeff
Thanks for the info Jeff. I've only run Pritchett twice, both times with a small group none of which had run it before. Both times the bypass looked more used than the right side. Since there is no sign or anything there we took that side thinking it was the "official" route. I won't use that side again.

The last time I ran it was two years ago after it had rained all night (won't do that again! :eek: )

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
drtsqrl said:
...I'll post here when a date is set. It would be great to have a RME work party!

Jeff

Jeff, I'd be all for supporting an RME work party... any trail, any time. Let me know if you want really want to persue this. :cool: