Winches?

jdub

Scrambler
I'll probably be torn apart for this one but i'm gonna ask anyway. I have had warn winches in the past on my cj's still have em but don't really use them much. But I was really glad I had them when I needed them. The question is... Has anyone seen, used, installed the winch that costco offers. It looks like a warn knock off. If it would work once or twice then I might justify the purchase. Ideas?

Bart

I think that's a valid question. Yes, I love the reliability of a Warn, but for someone that rarely uses a winch, they would probably be fine. I'd make sure and test it once in a while to see if it was still working.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think that's a valid question. Yes, I love the reliability of a Warn, but for someone that rarely uses a winch, they would probably be fine. I'd make sure and test it once in a while to see if it was still working.

And then report back here if/when it stops working, so others can know whether it was a good idea or not. ;)

Dart

Banned
I always wanted to buy one of the Champions from Cosco and work the crap out of it just to see how long it will last and do a wright up on it. I could not find any one that has really just taken one out and worked it.

I know Ive worked my Warn about as hard as I could at times. It only gave up on me once. and it was a 92 cent fix.

Any one want to buy me the Champion and I will test it for them.:D

jdub

Scrambler
I liked that link, took the other link to the winch website. The mile marker seems to be close for those looking for a cheap puller. thanx for the honest answers.

Contagious

I have that Champion winch from Cosco on my YJ.

Worked it pretty good in Moab - not a problem whatsoever... I pulled myself and a TJ out of a few holes.

It is actually the EXACT same winch as the 8k lb. "Black Mountain" winch. It just has the Champion label on it.

For the price, and for as often as I plan on using it, I figured I could replace it a few times before I touch the cost of a Warn. Don't get me wrong - you'll never go wrong with a Warn.

My opinion is that I'm happy with the purchase. It comes with a mounting plate and fairlead for that price.

I'll report back if/when it fails.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I have that Champion winch from Cosco on my YJ.

Worked it pretty good in Moab - not a problem whatsoever... I pulled myself and a TJ out of a few holes.

It is actually the EXACT same winch as the 8k lb. "Black Mountain" winch. It just has the Champion label on it.

For the price, and for as often as I plan on using it, I figured I could replace it a few times before I touch the cost of a Warn. Don't get me wrong - you'll never go wrong with a Warn.

My opinion is that I'm happy with the purchase. It comes with a mounting plate and fairlead for that price.

I'll report back if/when it fails.

Good to hear a rear-world report on the cheap winch option, thanks! :)