Jeep Wolverine TJ build

Freeman Jeep

Sadly earlier this year I sold my big ol XJ. It was a sad day, but something that was needed. I didn't stay away from the jeeps for too long though. I purchased a 2002 Wrangler. The jeep that I have always wanted and yellow to boot.

From the get go I wanted to make it a sleeper jeep or a wolf in sheep's wool. But knowing myself and wanting to build a big jeep I found some superduty axles for $350 for both. They will be going in the jeep sometime next year once I get gears, lockers, and all the fixins for them.

So in the mean time I purchased gears and lockers for this TJ and installed them just recently.
IMG-1063.jpgIMG-1077.jpg

Then I installed an SYE so I could lift that belly up a little bit. I plan on lifting the engine about an inch and tucking the tummy, plus I will make a custom cross member to hold the trans in with out the belly pan so I can drop the skid without the whole drivetrain falling on me. Will post pictures of that soon.

But on a couple recent trips I bent the frick out of my front fenders so it was time for some new tube ones. I will post pictures when I get them painted and installed. I just got finished making them.

Freeman Jeep

Finally got blinkers and running lights installed on the fenders, while I wait for my new linkage to come. Once the linkage arrives I can do the tummy tuck.

Everything is in preparation for the 1 ton swap. My next idea is to push the "cargo" area back about 6-10" and keep everything stock looking while still being able to stretch the wheel base in the future.
IMG-1254.jpgIMG-1253.jpg

Freeman Jeep

One of the best parts of being a high school welding teacher is, having access to a CNC plasma table. I decided today that if I am not going to run the tire carrier right now I might as well add some tail gate "armor". I quickly got some measurements and found some metal I had purchased over the summer and got started on getting it cut out. Will post pictures as I get it cleaned up and installed.IMG-1288.jpg

Freeman Jeep

I was thinking about using their trusses. I am kinda weird though I enjoy making all the brackets and stuff like that. I think that I will do the front truss from them though. It all depends on where I am at on budget come axle swap time. Thanks for the input!!!

Freeman Jeep

Finally got through the holidays, and all the sickness that comes with that! I got the motor mount lift in right before New Years, it was not as big of a pain as I thought it was gonna be. I just bought some cheap aluminum blocks off of ebay with the accompanying hardware and it all went pretty good. I did have to cut a little off of the corner of the passenger block so it could fit, but other than that it went pretty quick.IMG-1307.jpg

Freeman Jeep

I then got the transmission crossmember started so that I could flatten the belly as much as I could without cutting into my floor. As much as I like welding and fabricating I truly hate cutting into the body of the jeep since my old xj. So the skid should only be about 3/4" off of the frame when I am done with it all. Also wore the wrong shoes that day for grinding and welding as much as I did. 😆 Also got rid of the stock skid and linkage. I will get pics of my new linkage when I have it all adjusted.IMG-1369.jpgIMG-1370.jpgIMG-1374.jpgIMG-1376.jpgIMG-1375.jpg

Freeman Jeep

Finally got the crossmember in and the new linkage all adjusted. The new linkage is nice although I did have to make a small cut in the transmission hump to make a little room. The hammer just wasn't cutting it. Regardless, I like not seeing anything dangle under the jeep (never mind the muffler hanging down right now). The last few things I need to do are drill new holes for my weld washers where the new skid plate will mount, make the new skid plate (which all I am waiting for is my 3/16" plate to arrive), then tidy up my exhaust. Once all of that is done it is time for boat sides. Then it's time for patience as I collect everything for the axle swap and stretch.IMG-1380.jpgIMG-1379.jpgIMG-1378.jpgIMG-1381.jpg

Freeman Jeep

Finally got the skid plate finished and added a little flavor to it! I counter sunk the holes so the stainless bolts sit flush. I will get a picture of that when I get the skid installed hopefully tomorrow.IMG-1401.jpg

Freeman Jeep

Question. Has anyone used an inline hydraulic brake? I won’t be doing an e brake on the Jeep. I’m thinking of just making my own since it doesn’t seem like there is a lot to it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Question. Has anyone used an inline hydraulic brake? I won’t be doing an e brake on the Jeep. I’m thinking of just making my own since it doesn’t seem like there is a lot to it.
I've seen some people put a line lock/valve in to do it. You just push your brake pedal, lock the line and hopefully it stays pressured. Seems like it would work but I have no experience with it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've seen some people put a line lock/valve in to do it. You just push your brake pedal, lock the line and hopefully it stays pressured. Seems like it would work but I have no experience with it.

They're really not meant for any more than 30 seconds of use, so a drag car can do a burnout. I wouldn't rely on one as an actual parking brake, because they can bleed off over time.

1969honda

Supporting Member
If you have any type of inspection required line locks also do not pass that as it usually says the park brake needs to be a mechanical type.

OldGeezer

I had a Mico brake lock on my Jeep for many years until it quit (wouldn't activate). It's pretty expensive to replace so I doubt I'll get another one. It never bled down,.