wondering problems

Rockjunky317

i just finished doin wull wirdth axle swap and triangulated the frotn end now i cant get ti to go in a straight line, when i get on the gas then let off it wonders all over the road and i cant figure it out im completly stuck

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
If I could read what the hell you are saying maybe we could help you out. Spell check could be your friend.

kowe69

wannabe
i just finished doin wull wirdth axle swap and triangulated the frotn end now i cant get ti to go in a straight line, when i get on the gas then let off it wonders all over the road and i cant figure it out im completly stuck

check your caster. It is probably going negative as the weight transfers to the rear of the vehicle.

Dana

You guys are cruel.

I'm trying to remember the caster angle on my TJ- I think about 7.5 degrees. Worse case the stealership technicians should be able to tell you the correct angle. Any alignment shop can check it in about 1 minute with a protractor, or you can measure yourself.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4 is a pretty good article about caster.

Toe-in / toe-out can also seriously screw up your steering. You can check yours by either chalking the tires or measuring the internal tire to tire distance on both the fronts and rears. There are several internet sources that explain this way better than I ever could.

The other thing to check is the condition of tie rod ends- bushings, etc. Sloppy steering components lead to sloppy steering. Ask me how I know this!:rofl:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Even if all the specs are in line, a triangulated front suspension with "normal" mechanical steering can certainly cause what you're describing. It all depends on the angles of everything--got any pictures you can post?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com

Sounds just like caster problems to me.... Caster is there to keep it going straight (or recenter after a turn) when you dont' have any pressure from the wheel.

Find a spot on the knuckle (park on flat, level ground first) and take a Home Depot magnetic angle finder and put it on the knuckle. You should have ~7*.

Also, if the axle you have had leaf springs (one of them is cast into the center) that flat spot is at 0* and then you will have factory caster for that axle.

Too much toe in/out could cause it, too...You should have 1/8-1/4" toe in.

ibjeepn

I "wonder" what it is wondering about! Good thing it is not "wandering" that could be a real problem but I don't think wondering is any concern, sounds personal. ;)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
What kind of lockers do you have in the axles? Several lockers tend to cause these types of symptoms on the road.