WR 3-5 gear swap to YZ

jentzschman

I have read a bunch about this mod: Swapping the 3rd-5th gear out of a yz for 3rd-5th on a WR 400/426, and I think even the 450's

I was wondering if anyone around the broads have ever done this or have the chance to ride one that has been swapped?

If you have done this or have ridden one that has been done, could you post your thoughts on it?

Thanks.

jentzschman

I know the upper gears rarely get used for single track and the other riding I'm likely to ride, but in the event that I end up with open riding areas, it would be nice too have the taller upper gears so the bike is not winding out.

Another thought I had with doing this is so I can gear down a little more and not totally kill to end. I have been thinking of trying a 51 or 52 rear sprocket.

Maybe my thought process is off, but this is why I like getting feedback. You guys see things I have not thought about.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

D

Deleted member 12904

I know the upper gears rarely get used for single track and the other riding I'm likely to ride, but in the event that I end up with open riding areas, it would be nice too have the taller upper gears so the bike is not winding out.

Another thought I had with doing this is so I can gear down a little more and not totally kill to end. I have been thinking of trying a 51 or 52 rear sprocket.

Maybe my thought process is off, but this is why I like getting feedback. You guys see things I have not thought about.

I rode with a guy last year with a 1-5 wr swap and an eric gorr bbk in an 07. It waz awesome. Thats my plan this winter gor bbk and 1-5 wr swap. I want the lower first and a tall 5th because i often ride desert and st in the same day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

jentzschman

I rode with a guy last year with a 1-5 wr swap and an eric gorr bbk in an 07. It waz awesome. Thats my plan this winter gor bbk and 1-5 wr swap. I want the lower first and a tall 5th because i often ride desert and st in the same day.

Is the wr first noticeably different to the YZ first? I would assume so.

What bike do you have?

D

Deleted member 12904

Is the wr first noticeably different to the YZ first? I would assume so.

What bike do you have?

Yes. 05 yz250

D

Deleted member 12904

Sounds like it would be better to do the whole tranny swap. However, cost is one reason I was considering going 3-5....

Huumm...

Like you said if you don't plan on going fast you can drop your sprockets for a low first without losing the top and you currently have because it should be good for an extra 8 miles per hour. I do enjoy trail riding but I also enjoyed desert riding. The only reason I sold my old YZ 250 was because of the close ratio transmission. Had I known about the swap prior to that I would have just swaped it and kept it. It just seems like when I get down for single track I would have to swap sprockets to go ride 5 mile pass.