Jeep Wrangler 4 Low

rholbrook

My son took the 2004 Wrangler out for a ride and got it stuck in the sand. It would not shift into 4 Low. It us very hard to shift past 4 high. This is a jeep that may have been in 4 low less than 10 times in its life. I managed to get it into 4 low and it would pop out if the lever was not held in place.

The next problem is we tried to hook the winch to something and unwound it too far so the cable came out.

Any thoughts on the transfer case and who in St George to take it to and where in St George to get the cable recrimped on the spool?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Does it have a lift? Body lift? Transfer case Drop? Any of those things will mess with the linkage if not addressed. Well a suspension lift won't unless it included a t-case drop.

RockChucker

I'm with TJDukit. I bet the linkage is just out of adjustment/out of whack from non stock geometry. It really isn't too hard to adjust yourself. The best way I have found to do it is to loosen up the adjuster bolt on the rod that hooks to the shift plate on the tcase. Using a wrench or superman hands shift the case into 4 low using the plate on the tcase. Pull the handle into 4 low and tighten the bolt on the adjuster. Hopefully that makes sense after you look at it.

Shops I know of in St George that could look at it if you decide you don't want to tackle it...Dixie 4wd, and Impulse Offroad are down there. I believe there is a Six States too. If they are anything like the one in SL, they would probably be the best for the winch issue. And could probably help you with your tcase.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Thanks to all. I will take a look at the linkage and see if I can do it myself and then go visit Six States for the winch.

It's pretty simple, but access isn't comfortable. There is a process for adjusting it.

Edit:
SHIFT LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT (1) Shift transfer case into 4L position. (make sure your shifter is fully in the 4L position) (2) Raise vehicle. (3) Loosen lock bolt on adjusting trunnion (Fig. 87). (4) Be sure linkage rod slides freely in trunnion. Clean rod and apply spray lube if necessary. (5) Verify that transfer case range lever is fully engaged in 4L position. (you can do this under the vehicle at the transfer case) (6) Tighten adjusting trunnion lock bolt. (7) Lower vehicle

Last edited:

ricsrx

That is great info, Shelbys wrangler pops out of 4Lo and i thought the t-case was shot...

irish1371

My Lj was a rental in hawii before I got it. The thing was a fight to get into 4 low. Figured it hadn't been used much. I had the best luck going from 4hi to 4 low in neutral. If the xfer case isn't in all the way it will pop out easy like you described.

I was going to work on the linkage but right before I did , I changed the fluids and now it works 500x better