XJ ABS removal

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
has any body done it?
how involved is it?
what does it take to do it?
how much does it cost for parts?
is it even posible to remove/disable the abs system?

the abs on my 90 xj has got to go before it kills me.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
EKSJAE said:
has any body done it?
how involved is it?
what does it take to do it?
how much does it cost for parts?
is it even posible to remove/disable the abs system?

the abs on my 90 xj has got to go before it kills me.

I had a '91 with ABS. I looked into taking it out and honestly, it's not that tough. I never had much trouble with mine, so I left it alone even after losing the axles with the tone rings.

The easiest thing is to get another XJ with 'normal' brakes and just swap everything over.

Ken

mbryson said:
I had a '91 with ABS. I looked into taking it out and honestly, it's not that tough. I never had much trouble with mine, so I left it alone even after losing the axles with the tone rings.

The easiest thing is to get another XJ with 'normal' brakes and just swap everything over.
This is the truth i almost died on the freeway. Just get a new master cylinder and brake setup from a non abs xj and put it on asap. Get rid of that whack shiz, and the hardest thing is the brake pedal switch to get your brake lights to come on but if you need any help just holla or just try the wires till your lights turn on. I've been through it all on my 90 abs setup it used to suck!!!!

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I pulled the ABS from my TJ. It did require a new proportioning valve (under the brake fluid resevior), but other than replacing that valve, and removing the ABS box, the only difficult part was getting the fittings on the brake lines to match up with the proportioning valve.

Big-Bear

Brew Master
I did my 97. You can disable your ABS just buy disconecting all of the wires going to your axles and your pump. I ran mine this way for couple of years. You may also want to remove the light bulb from the ABS dash light that will now stay on. Removing the pump is a little more invoved. You will have visit you dealer to do this. You will need new front brake lines from the wheel wells back and the two short lines that atach to the line going back off of a non ABS system. The last thing you will need is the small brass fittting that replaces the plug on the back of the porp valve as seen hear http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoZJvalve.htm. I personally bought a ZJ porp valve for mine scence I run ZJ disks in the rear. Hope this is of some help.

JoeT

There's a big difference on the older (yours,mine) ABS system and the newer types. The older systems require swapping lot of parts vs. the newer style just pull/disconnect switches/sensors. Use the master cyclinder/booster from your MJ and install those in your XJ. Not sure what the pedal deal is. You can use a booster from a WJ for HUGE boost in braking power. Yours is just a single diaphram setup, newer ones are a dual setup. The WJ's are a even larger unit and according to Jared they'll fit. I'll be doing the swap soon since I installed the DANA 44 in the rear. Hmm maybe we should get together about this. Oh, you should check JU, tons of info on this subject.

Ken

JeepinJoe said:
There's a big difference on the older (yours,mine) ABS system and the newer types. The older systems require swapping lot of parts vs. the newer style just pull/disconnect switches/sensors. Use the master cyclinder/booster from your MJ and install those in your XJ. Not sure what the pedal deal is. You can use a booster from a WJ for HUGE boost in braking power. Yours is just a single diaphram setup, newer ones are a dual setup. The WJ's are a even larger unit and according to Jared they'll fit. I'll be doing the swap soon since I installed the DANA 44 in the rear. Hmm maybe we should get together about this. Oh, you should check JU, tons of info on this subject.
Yep with the old bendix setup you cant just clip wires, the brake booster is part of the ABS system. If you do that you have no more boost.

bryce

Richard Crainium
the brake system on any abs system is designed to function even if the abs system is disabled, not fuctioning, bypassed
i only know one thing about jeeps i'll get to that later
any time i wanted to disable the abs on the old 91 dakota i would just pull a fuse
your brakes will still work fine --- unless you are in a panic on an ice sheet and your abs doesnt work --- i would rather have the abs especially when about to die on the freeway
but like i said i only know one thing about jeeps
and that one thing is, there always seems to be a samauri waiting for one on the trail :greg:

Ken

Ya well I pulled my fuse for my 90's abs and since theres was no master cylider it didn't work. Theres an accumulator and pump setup located under the antifreeze pressure bottle that provides your stoping power on the early abs setups without the master cylinder, so if you pull the fuse or cut wires etc, then you have shitty ass braking power after the first few attempts then none whatsoever.
AND YOU WILL DIE :eek:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ken said:
Ya well I pulled my fuse for my 90's abs and since theres was no master cylider it didn't work. Theres an accumulator and pump setup located under the antifreeze pressure bottle that provides your stoping power on the early abs setups without the master cylinder, so if you pull the fuse or cut wires etc, then you have shitty ass braking power after the first few attempts then none whatsoever.
AND YOU WILL DIE :eek:

I cry Bullsh!t. I had my brake wires clipped on my '91 XJ for over two years (roughly 30K) and many wheeling trips and had NO issues with the pump, or any other part of the ABS system.

Ken

EKSJAE said:
wasnt the abs system changed between 90 and 91? i am not sure but i believe they are different.
Bingo!!!!!!! You can eat that bullshit you just cried out, cause I know everything there is to know about a that damn yrs piece of **** system. :mad: It's ok though you didn't know about the change. :D If the jeep is a 90. Factory made in the latter half of 89 with the first generation ABS then I repeat....YOU WILL DIE. Just pull the fuse my toole friend and let us know what happens. Of course if your accumulator/pump setup works well then you can clip the wires by the tone rings on the axles and be ok. But Like I said I almost died on the freeway when the right side of my brakes stopped working due to a jacked up pump setup, I like jeeps, but I got a heep. :mad2: Don't bother going to the dealer for the recalls either. Dealers can suck my @$#*

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
the dealer has already done the recall work. it lasted about 6 months and now it is as bad as ever. i would take it back in but the last time they said the bad parts were not covered under the recall and it cost me $300.00 to have them fix it. L.H.M. jeep sucks.

Ken

sounds familiar. they fixed mine then after a mudding trip it when to crap. Then they charged me 150 for an accumulator that didn't fix the problem.