XJ t-case question

jeff788

So, I'm trying to hunt down a strange noise in my friend's little sister's '95 XJ. It has a 3" lift and is rarely wheeled. I noticed a lot of ATF on the t-case and it is incredibly low. I'm not super familiar with XJ's so here are a few questions: On the rear slip yoke seal, is the rubber boot supposed to be attatched to the t-case and/or t-case seal? Right now it is just clamped on to the shaft in the front and rear and there is a mysterious rubber ring just hanging around the shaft behind the output seal. Just behind the output seal there is a snap-ring groove that just can't be nice to be sliding in and out of the seal. In addition to fixing the seal if it is ripped, I'm guessing that the lift has made the slip-yoke slide too far out. What is the easiest way to fix this? I have an old t-case lowering kit from my YJ, would that work? She really doesn't have any $$ to throw at it and doesn't really wheel it, so loosing clearance isn't an issue. Thanks!

Jeff

Bud

'98 ZJ
jeff788 said:
So, I'm trying to hunt down a strange noise in my friend's little sister's '95 XJ. It has a 3" lift and is rarely wheeled. I noticed a lot of ATF on the t-case and it is incredibly low. I'm not super familiar with XJ's so here are a few questions: On the rear slip yoke seal, is the rubber boot supposed to be attatched to the t-case and/or t-case seal? Right now it is just clamped on to the shaft in the front and rear and there is a mysterious rubber ring just hanging around the shaft behind the output seal. Just behind the output seal there is a snap-ring groove that just can't be nice to be sliding in and out of the seal. In addition to fixing the seal if it is ripped, I'm guessing that the lift has made the slip-yoke slide too far out. What is the easiest way to fix this? I have an old t-case lowering kit from my YJ, would that work? She really doesn't have any $$ to throw at it and doesn't really wheel it, so loosing clearance isn't an issue. Thanks!

Jeff
cheapest way is to do a t-case lowering kit. The rubber ring on the shaft is probably the one that takes up the gap from the seal and shaft. This was available in some aftermarket seal kits (crap). Go to the dealer and get the right seal. Take the shaft in with you to test the tightness of the new seal

Ken

Screw going to a dealer for anything, thats the best way to loose money. Just go to a driveline shop and see what they can do about the t-case and throw that lowering kit on if it matches up.

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
I agree with the t-case lowering kit for the vibration issues considering the use of the vehicle, as far as the fluid goes, there is also an o-ring on the speedo sensor that tends to leak. It sounds like you are pretty sure that the leak is coming from around the output, but just thought it wouldn't hurt to check.