Yamaha XS 650 Bobber build

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Well a little while ago I posted up asking about some insight on a bike build, That thread went a little sideways so I am going to start one here for the actual build thread. Here is the bike the night I went to look at it.

photo_zps230258f3.jpg

It was an ok bike with all the parts I needed to make the bike the way I wanted. The Hard tail was hacked on there pretty good along with all the wiring and shifters/throttle linkage. I decide I wanted the seat to sit about 2-3 inches lower and in order to do that I needed to move the rear wheel back about 1-2 inches.

So I started tearing it down and cutting it apart. The motor in these bikes are fairly compact and if you ever feel the need the pull the motor dont do it by yourself the motor is ALOT heavier than it looks and once you jiggle it out of the frame the weight becomes very apparent and you really have no choice but to drop it or set it down real quick like

photo_zpsb16c1b18.jpg

photo_zps54f096f5.jpg

photo_zps371c49cf.jpg

I decided to use the stock head tube and the factory top tube just because the ease of finding steering stem parts and the factory top tube has 3 of the 5 motor mounts. so locating the motor should be as easy as bolting it into the remaining motor mounts then building the new ones with the motor already located. I also kept the stock rake to keep handling characteristics in check

And here it is tonight still has a long way to go but I have to admit this is a nice change from working on Jeeps/buggies all the time

photo_zpsc4f507f4.jpg

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Im not even sure if I will ride it so it might be up for sale soon after its done, I have this thing where I like to build stuff more than I like to use it. This is a nice change of pace you can work on the entire thing standing up!!!!!!

D

Deleted member 12904

Thats looking great so far!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I thought about somekind of LED lighting but this is pretty much a strictly around town bike and I think the Police wouldnt like me throwing 9 million lumens into oncoming traffic

D

Deleted member 12904

I thought about somekind of LED lighting but this is pretty much a strictly around town bike and I think the Police wouldnt like me throwing 9 million lumens into oncoming traffic

Next time we meet up i will show you a few super cheap options that would be perfect for headlights.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Interested in seeing this bobber finished. I loved my old 1981 XS650.
Xs650a.jpg

Shortly after I bought it... I don't seem to have any pics of it after I swapped in more flat bars, alloy wheels, twin front disk brakes.

I'd love to snag an XS650 to build into a dual purpose type ride. Long travel front and rear suspensions... No way my back can take a hardtail machine.

Edit... The pic was from 1986 or so, I sold the machine in 92 or 93.

Last edited:

Tobyxj

This bike looks like one the Cordova's had out in tooele ?? On a side not know of any one locally with a set of 74 cb750 coils ?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
This bike looks like one the Cordova's had out in tooele ?? On a side not know of any one locally with a set of 74 cb750 coils ?

I am not sure who built it but whoever it was should be stripped of there welder and other tools this thing was a MESS

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Well I found an hour or 2 to work on this thing this weekend and hurried and whipped out the rear seat stay tubes on the bobber. I made a quick little ghetto jig so it was easier to work on the keep square.

photo_zps54191bb7.jpg

And this is how it sits on the frame, The seat will be about 24" off the ground at ride height. I need to finish up the rear axle mounting and get the motor set back in the frame.

photo_zpsb935b748.jpg