Yellowstone snowmobile ban

Houndoc

A lilttle good news I just read- a federal judge overturned the Clinton-era snowmobile ban as politically driven and illegal. Good to see a positive step for access!

ace

Parts Collector
So, can you take a snowmobile into the park without a commercial guide now? I want to do this trip but those guides are ripoffs.

Yellowstone is great if you want to see wild life and interesting geology. As far as the snowmobiling goes, it's really just a mode of transportation within the park. You're not allowed to leave the road and if you're turning around you have to do it within the road. Considering that. I would just take a ride in one of the snow coaches to enjoy the scenery from a heated more comfortable seat. On top of that almost any piped sled exceeds the noise limit to ride in Yellowstone.
If it's the snowmobiling you want then spend your time in Island Park. You can pretty much ride whereever you want. There are groomed trails to travel around on, the ranchers lay their fences down and you can ride across the fields and play in the powder.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
snowmobiles are my favorite way to see yellowstone. we have done it twice. they only have part of the roads open so we ride in to oldfaithfull have lunch and ride back out to west yellowstone and spend the rest of the weekend there. there are thousands of miles of trails outside the park that are a blast.

i think everyone should do this at least once, if for no other reason than to get a new perspective on yellowstone.