YJ hardtop modification

jeff788

hey all, now that I have my hardtop back on my YJ it is driving crazy. All of the sheet-metal screws along the windshield just rattle themselves out so that any time I hit a bump the whole thing shakes around. I'm tired putting the screws in every couple of days and have them randomly fall out as I'm driving. I've thought of a couple of different ways to fix the problem and was wondering if anyone had tackled this problem and could offer advice. I've thought about welding some nuts onto the back side and using bolts with lock-washers to hold the thing on there. Another idea I had was to screw 2-3 latches on ( i know, I know...just buy a TJ). I'm not sure where I could get some... but I bet I could find something that would work. The latch route seems like it would be quicker to take on and off, hopefully less prone to rattling... Also does anyone have any tricks to quite the thing down on the highway. I've quited it down in the past by stuffing weather-stripping in all over the place and I'll probably do that again but was wondering if anyone had any tricks that they know of.

Thanks,
Jeff

yjinut

I had the same problem on mine. What tried alot of different things to fix it, but what finally worked was just simply using some self taping screws with a half rubber half steel washer. I didn't use the old holes either. I used the self taping and put them in new holes. Between the other holes. It worked great, no rattles and they don't come out. Anyway, it worked for me. Good Luck.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I just went through the same thing with my ride. The screws still work for the bracket into the windshield frame but I drilled out some holes and bolted that strap bracket onto the hard top then set the top back down on the jeep and cinched it down. Everything is working great...heck I even tried rivets last year, and that was a miserable failure....nothing is worse than strass fractures in your top because the front lip of the top decided to go airborne but 1" on the way to moab at about 90mpg....GRRRR

But everything seems to be working now. If you need pix, I might be able to arrange things..

I am sure glad I am not the only one that has hell problems with that damn hard top. It is never coming off again....I will pull the doors and the back glass before I pull that damn hard top!!!

actionjackson

Boy, your in a pick ol'
www.langeoriginals.com quick kits for wranglers

I work for a company that makes replacement hardware specifically for your problem called a quick kit--I am not plugin for my company because I want my asshole boss to get richer, but because you could use the product--damn the man--give me a call at work tommorow, maybe I can swing you a deal--www.langeoriginals.com the numbers on the contact info on the site my name is sam
Ps we also make the hoist-a-top that makes the top removal process allot easier when i had my yj and a tj it was a must

Last edited: