Yj lift help!

Tumbler

Hello every one, I'm new to the forum.
Need advise on the Rubicon express 4 1/2" extreme duty lift for yjs
Do you need a sye and cv? the lift is spring under but is 4 1/2 inch, I keep getting mixed reviews.
Also does anybody know if the kit is as good as it's cracked-up to be.
Thanks for any help!

1993yj

I would personally do an sye on any lift over 4". It's actually a good idea to do it without a lift as slip yokes are not great for wheeling. If you break a rear drive shaft and don't have a replacement one on the trail, your yoke will have no way of holding itself in and then when it comes out you lose all of your t-case fluid. There are of course ways to jimmy rig something to keep it in place, but fixed yokes are much easier. I would spend the $350 or so and just get a sye kit. Your rear driveline will have to be modified too, so the best time to do a sye is when installing a lift so the rear driveshaft only has to be modified once.

Contagious

You won't be disappointed with that lift. RE makes a quality product. The springs will be a bit stiff, but if you have armor, rear rock bumper with spare carrier, winch, and carry a good tool/spare parts kit, it will work well. And if you run a hardtop, that helps too.

You WILL need the SYE and CV - It makes life much happier.

I'm setup spring under with 4" springs and a little lift in the shackles - setup works very well. Plus, I don't have to worry about axle wrap.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
what year YJ? you might have the dana300 transfer case which doesn't have a slip yoke...

Nope, the D300 stopped when the CJ stopped. :(

SYE for sure. You can get one for about $200 plus the driveshaft, and it's really a great upgrade.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
My bad... thought I saw a yj with one once...

You could have easily, since they're an easy bolt-in swap--but since they have a passenger's side output instead of the factory driver's side, they also require a front axle swap. (or a flip kit to run the D300 driver's side)