YJ problems

jeff788

Hey all,
I've been trying to figure this out with no luck, so maybe some of you that are more experienced than I can help. Here's what its doing: When I brake hard in my '90 YJ there is a loud popping that shakes the whole jeep. It continues as long as I'm braking until the jeep stops. It slows down with the speed of the jeep. It sounds just like a u-joint binding... but I'm pretty convinced that that is not the problem. I have a SYE/ CV drive shaft on the rear and the angles are are fine. I had a friend drive it while I was watching in a parking lot and I'm not getting extreme axle wrap or anything. I checked all of the brakes... no problems that I could see there. I checked to see if the slip-joint in the CV shaft was seizing... its just fine. I pulled off my rear diff cover and the differential appears to be in great shape ( ie. no big metal shavings... no obvious play). It was a snowy day when I first discovered this so I tried it in 4wd and 2wd. At first I could not get it to do it in 4wd, just 2wd. The next day I tried it again in 4wd and it would do it. It is also somewhat intermittent. Sometimes I can brake really hard and it won't do it. My best guess it something in the t-case, maybe a stretched chain causing something to bind. Before I go and tear into the t-case I thought I'd see if anyone else has had similar problems, or have any other ideas. Additional info on the jeep: '90 YJ 2.5L, 4'' lift, lock-right in the rear D35 (I checked it, it looks surprisingly good still), 31" M/T. 127K on jeep, about 110K on t-case which I got from another jeep with the SYE. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

chans

My brothers 91 did the same thing. It turned out to be the rear drive shaft going out. He has the short shaft kit also but bigger lift and tires so the drive shaft wore out quicker.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Mine had the same problems as you are describing. It turned out to be the driveline angle. I had to reset the caster on the rear axle. It was a PITA but smooth with the help of some good guys!