yz450 for a first dirt bike, good idea or bad?

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
I'm selling a 4 wheeler and a guy is offering an 05 yz450 as a trade. I was planning to get a much milder bike since I have no dirt bike experience, but it seems like it might be a decent deal.

I'd like to hear the opinions of some people with actual experience.

thanks for the help

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
What kind of quad are you selling? If you are used to lots of power, going fast, and getting hurt then get the bike. Just take it real easy until you get comfortable.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
The YZ is a good bike and compared to some of the other 450's out there it will be a very long lasting and reliable machine if you keep up on maintenance. As for the trade it just depends on the type of riding you want to do. If you have trails in mind it might take some work/money setting it up after all the YZ was designed for a motocross track. The suspension will bounce you around (depending on your weight) and the flywheel is light which won't let the motor lug very well in the technical sections. If you have AF canyon in mind you should consider a Steahly flywheel weight right off the bat then loosen up the adjustment on the forks and shock all the way. If it still bounces you around you'd want to send the forks and shock to an expert and have them re-valved/sprung (softened up). A desert tank (more fuel) would not be a bad idea either as the stock piece is only ~2 gallons. Above all you don't want to break the law so you'll need some form of spark arrested muffler. You can pick those up on Ebay or KSL from time to time along with desert tanks.

Are you better off selling the wheeler and just buying a WR that comes ready for trails right out of the box? I guess it depends on what the wheeler is worth. The YZ is a good platform to work with the SSS suspension is top notch once its tuned in and Yamaha's are so forgiving when it comes to handling but I feel it is going to cost you some extra cash to get it where you'll be happy. There are a few people in my group that ride motocross bikes on even the most technical trails and could care less about the things I mentioned. Me--and maybe I'm getting old--I personally like the bike to do as much work as possible while I do the least :D

PS if you're wanting to ride on a track just put gas in it and go :p

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
Thanks Rot box, that is exactly what I was asking. That response makes me think I need to back off this deal. I want a fun trail rider, not a motocross bike. My problem now is that I think it's a pretty good deal money-wise and that tempts me to give it a shot.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I simply dropped 1 tooth on my front sprocket on my yz250, and can lug up just about anything I want to.. I don't think you need to spend a bunch on extra parts..

But, if you are trading up a bit, get the bike ans sell it for one you want.

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
welp, I'm a retard and got the bike anyway. It's not the ideal bike for me, but the price was too right. It's newer and in some ways nicer than the 4 wheeler I gave for it. I'm tired of my four wheeler and this bike is too cool. My plan now is to try it out for a while and see how I feel.

Thanks a lot for the help. I'll come back in a while to say YOU TOLD ME SO!! :D

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
UPDATE

well, after a couple weeks I decided it was the wrong bike. I sold it to my Bro. in law and bought a sweet 1991 KDX 200 for 750 bucks. I am in love with this bike. I wanted a two stroke anyway and the power delivery is much smoother. Six speeds works better than four for me as well. This bike seems awesome for my needs. I'm totally new to bikes anyway and I probably can't tell the difference, but I'm digging it.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Good to hear you like the KDX they're a lot of fun aren't they :D I grew up riding a 97 200 and to this day I wish I would have kept it.

TROKITA

ya 450 is the way to go...... i bought a yzf 250 but regret it cause now im stuck with it, i Love my bike but there's some times i wish i had a 450 just to feel the torque