Yzf. 426 thoughts

sixstringsteve

i think you have one of the best af canyon singletrack bikes out there. What don't you like about the xr?

and if you decide to sell the xr, i call first dibs. :)

zukijames

It would cost money to get street legal, needs new brakes front and rear, coil over leaks, forks have dings so they take out seals in 1 trip, needs shifter seal,chain , rear sprocket , really slow on the street
so I could put that money into a 25 year old bike or put it towards something newer..

honestly for single track I love it! But a little more power would be nice it's takes a lot to pop the front tire up in 2nd and 3rd

i will probably just keep riding

zukijames

I should probably spend another season on my bike . I can see jumping up to a big bike really slowing down progression

ps I try to ride 3 times a week even if its just around the house ;)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I have a plated WR426F. I have put a ton of miles on it both on and off road and it has asked for very little in return. The engine, suspension and chassis are nearly identical to the earlier 450's aside from a few minor changes. For me the only setback compared to the 03-06 WR450's is the lack of an e-start....oh and my air filter is a little harder to access lol :-\ The manual decompression is not an issue if you know how to use it. They are on the heavy side compared to the latest bikes but it's not too bad by 4T standards.

I would pass on the YZ's if you plan on a fair amount of street riding. The gearbox will leave you wanting more gearing (even the WR isn't wide enough imo). The 19" rear wheel, factory suspension settings and lack of lighting loose to the WR's on the trail. If those things aren't an issue go for it :cool:

Last edited:

rholbrook

Brakes are cheap, I can tell you of an easy way to fix the nicks in your fork tubes for next to nothing. Fixed mine 3 years ago and its still sealing perfectly. PM me your number and I can tell you what I did. I have never replaced a shift lever seal on a Honda but it cant be that hard can it?

I would keep the XR unless you can go to a WR450 or CRF450X or something along that line if your doing mostly AF Canyon.

sixstringsteve

If the trail above forest lake was a struggle on your xr, it'll be twice as much work on a bigger bike, especially if its a race bike like a yz.

Last edited:

zukijames

If the trail above forest lake was a struggle on your xr, it'll be twice as much work on a bigger bike, especially if its a race bike like a yz.

I should mention it was my first time ever on single track and like 4th time really ever riding a dirt bike

I think another year on this bike would be good before I jump to something bigger