ZMotorSports 2011 JKUR Build Thread

I am new here but thought I would throw up some pictures of my latest Jeep build. It is not real time as I have owned it now for almost two years.

I bought the Jeep with only 3208 miles on the odometer and commenced building my "Dream Jeep". This is my daily driver and weekend wheeler.

ecm6-jpg.150279

On lift just before sitting it down with the 4" BDS Suspension Lift and 35" KM2 tires/ATX Crawl wheels.
21909d.jpg

Backed outside the shop after just barely sitting her on the ground with new lift and tires/wheels.
s4v28o.jpg

More to come as I dig through the pictures. Also pictured here is the Warn Rockcrawler bumper/Powerplant combination that I purchased used just to get me by until I could fabricated my own bumpers.

Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Continuing on with the repair.

The next part I think was my own doing. A couple of the plug wires were hard to reach upon disassembly so I thought I'd test them before reinstalling and I'm glad I did. One wire tested open while all others were good at around 770-790 ohms. This one tested open and upon grabbing it and pulling I discovered why. Shit, wasn't planning on new wires and I couldn't easily locate a single so I had to buy a set.
ls31.jpg

I've seen people slather dielectric grease on the ends of the boots before so I thought I'd share my thoughts. Dielectric grease on the end of the boot really does nothing to aid sealing. It is really used to coat the porcelain of the plug and aid in sealing out moisture from the boot as well as aid in removal next time.
ls32.jpg

You can either apply it to the porcelain of the plug before installation or the boot. I like to use a rubber installation tool for installing the plugs so that negates the ability to use the dielectric grease on the plug or it will just spin on the install tool. Therefore, I take a little on my pocket screwdriver, not too much as it really doesn't need to be slathered all over. In fact, some people just spray a light coating of silicone spray in the boot which would also work. I've just been using dielectric grease for decades and am kind of stuck in my ways. :bounce:
ls33.jpg

Put it slightly up inside the boot. Next when installing the boot onto the plug, give it a bit of a twist to spread it uniformly around the plug. Then snap it onto the plug and orientate the wire to the natural lay of the wire in relation to the coil.
ls34.jpg

Plug wires installed.
ls35.jpg

After the test fire, everything was double checked and the engine cover reinstalled.
ls36.jpg

The wife and I went for a test drive that night for dinner and then on Sunday, New Year's Eve morning I went back out to the shop with coffee in hand to give the shop a good cleaning in which to bring in the new year.
ls37.jpg

ls38.jpg

ls39.jpg

Thanks for looking.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Nice write up as usual. I had a spring fail in my 2021 6.2L. Then the last 6.0L I built had a broken spring when I took it apart. That was strange because it ran fine. I believe there is a TSB about spring failure in truck ls/lt engines. That 6.0 and the 6.2 I’m building now got upgraded springs. As a rule I won’t use stock springs.
Glad it wasn’t worse.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Nice write up as usual. I had a spring fail in my 2021 6.2L. Then the last 6.0L I built had a broken spring when I took it apart. That was strange because it ran fine. I believe there is a TSB about spring failure in truck ls/lt engines. That 6.0 and the 6.2 I’m building now got upgraded springs. As a rule I won’t use stock springs.
Glad it wasn’t worse.

I haven't seen quite the issue in the truck/SUV engines as I had in the C5 Corvettes. This was actually very common in the early 2000's Vettes with the LS2 and many were changing over to the LS6 springs at that time.

I have read a few online in the truck/SUV forums but they seemed few and far between.

Funny though, out of all of the Hi-Po engines I've built over the past 35 or so years, this bone stock engine is the only one I have had a spring failure in. :rolleyes:

But yes, glad it wasn't worse as this could have gone several different ways very easily and they would have been catastrophic.