10 year old dies at Miller Motorsports Park...

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
As someone who has an 8 year old that races, and next year my 6 year old will be racing, this is something that I struggle with some, Ive grown up on bikes and race also, I understand the risks and my boys ride with every piece of safety equiptment ever made. My boys are more excited about racing than anything else, they live it and understand it, and together we try and make it as safe as possible, still something could happen. But we ALL have accepted forms of risk in our everyday lives, getting in a car and traveling at 60 MPH only feet away from a vehicle going the same speed in the opposite direction is a huge risk, a risk we have decided is acceptable because we have got away with it for so long,. Millions more die that way but its not noticed because its not news. Its crazy to me that some of the same people that frown on me letting my boys race, are the same idiots that let their kids fly all over town on the back roads on a fullsize 4x4 4 wheeler not looking through intersections or even wearing a helmet on a machine that could crush the life from them if it landed on them. Its easy to be scared of and judgemental of something you dont understand, As for us we will continue to live until otherwise. RIP little rider.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
I feel bad for the parents , it's one of the many reasons Im tariffed of having kids...but at the same time you can't be protective of them to where you won't let them do the things they want to try...kids need to scrape there knee and brake a arm...those parents did nothing wrong and if my kid wanted to race moto or whatever...it's his choice and I'll let him do so provided he has on his safety gear and such.

Heck, I used to ride brakeless wagons down the mountain trail at scout camp without a helmet or anything and the only way to stop was to crash lol
not saying this type of stuff is okay but was a blast and made some grate memories and nothing happened,,I also broke my arm and my nose on a slide! Stuff happens and sometimes horrible things happen...but I would want to be known for doing something I love rater then some freak accident..and same goes for my future kids...

Last edited:

notajeep

Just me
There are risks in everything that we do, but no parent should have to outlive their children, and to lose one in the course of a shared and enjoyed hobby is devastating.

Houndoc

Minor point (but important for the reputation of MMP), but the motocross track is actually at the Deseret Peak Complex and run by a private contractor.

As far as the issue of kids safety, my idea is "smart risks". Life is meant to be an adventure- you play it too safe and you miss out on a lot. However, don't be stupid.

As an example, we ride horse a lot- and everyone in the family has taken some falls. Not going to stop us from riding, but basic precautions like helmets are a must.

There are basic rules I encourage- you want to try rock climbing? Great, use ropes, safely gear and go with someone experienced. Cliff jumping at Lake Powell? Keep it less than 15-20 feet. Just a few examples, but the idea is we can let our kids be adventurous and keep them pretty safe. Yes, something bad may happen, but so long as risks are controlled as much as possible that risk is low.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
there are two tracks out there, one is the one on the infield at MMP where they now have the outdoor nationals, and there is another about a block away that is another private track, I dont know which one the accident happened at, but the new story says MMP.

D

Deleted member 12904

there are two tracks out there, one is the one on the infield at MMP where they now have the outdoor nationals, and there is another about a block away that is another private track, I dont know which one the accident happened at, but the new story says MMP.
The private track a block away is part of the Deseret peak complex. The entire complex was shut down last year due to funding but a company ( throttle 215 I think) worked a deal to run the mx track.