12 bolt

Eric Edwards

Just picked 1 up this weekend. Dont know anything about it. Is it a good axle to run with? Is it worth rebuilding to put in my FSJ? Pros/Cons

So far the price was right!

Thanks,
Eric

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
It is a step down from stock FSJ rear. It would not be worth building for any truck IMO. Pro: maybe sucks less horsepower up than other rears. Con: C Clip shaft retenton.

idoc

Eric, I found this on a thread over at ifsja, thought it might interest you.

"the 12 bolt was used in the rear of 1/2 ton stuff till around 1980,when it was replaced with the 10 bolt.

it is comparable to a 44 in every way-shaft size and splines,ring gear(little bigger,i bielive),pinion shaft size,housing,etc. there is absolutely nothing that would make a 44 any better,assuming the same locker and gears in each axle.

the only difference is C clip axles. rear discs are easy,so convert it to discs and run it.

my friend runs a 12 bolt in a cj7 with 36" buckshots,a 360 and a t18 tranny. he beats the snot out of his rig and the 12 bolt has been there about 4 years now with no issues."

Good luck, Dave

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Nothing wrong with running it until it breaks, but I wouldn't spend any real money on it.

It's kind of like a AMC 20 for the Jeep guys. You can upgrade it. It will probably work {at least for a while}, but why when there are better options? (In fact, if you've got a FSJ 20, I'd probably run that instead of the 12 bolt)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i wouldn't put money into it if i were you... and sure everyone's sisters boyfriends cousins girlfriends godfather runs one in his jeep but that doesn't mean it is worth money. :ugh: free stuff like that is cool if it is free to get and install, but at some point it is turdpolishing :D