1985 Honda CR500

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I have a line on picking one of these beasts up, wondering what the consensus of RME will be. My bro owns it, he's the second owner since new. Its in really good shape, and hasn't been ridden in probably 10 years. Hasn't been ridden regularly in closer to 15-20 years. What am I going to run into while looking for parts, etc? Probably just looking to use it for blasting the dunes. Thoughts?

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Ive had one way back, Ive got a couple of friends that have restored them, and they found most all the parts on ebay over time. Old school cool, Id love to have one all restored, but I probably wouldnt ride it much, the new ones are just to plush and so much easier to ride.

Tonkaman

If the motor is in good condition it's worth some pretty good cash. Definitely buy it and do the swap into a modern frame down the road

Chase39

The most powerful year they made. Fun bikes if you know how to ride them. I race my 97 here and there. A riot out on the track when you are throwing roost in 450's faces :) Parts are pretty easy to come by. I know a bunch of vintage guys who restore all the old bikes.

Chase39

And the look on the guys faces when you show up to gate of the open pro class when you got a bike that's rattling, smoking, and 17 years older than the rest of them is pretty enjoyable:)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The 85's were part of the short stroke era or 'power years' (84-86). When running properly they are a rocket.

Pro's:

-Most powerful year of CR500 out of the box.
-Many engine parts are shared/adapted from later years. Upgrading to modern digital ignition is easy..
-Ergo's and handling are good for an 80's bike. With a little help (wider pegs, suspension work, bar position etc) they can feel/ride much like the later CR500's.. Which isn't all that outstanding compared to new bikes lol :ugh:
-Lots of options for suspension improvement. After updating my 84 trust me--it's more than worth it.
-Aftermarket plastics, tanks, exhausts, seat covers and such are readily available.

Con's

-Dated suspension.
-Magnesium water pump housing is famous for rotting out and leaking coolant into transmission. I 'think' the later aluminum case will swap on but not positive.
-High pipe likes to burn through riding gear
-drum brake rear. Performance is actually pretty good however the aluminum torque arm is a rock anchor and bends easily.
-Rear linkage uses a bushing for the lower arm. If it's not shot or seized by now it is highly recommended to pull all the linkage apart and grease thoroughly.

As far as dirtbikes go you can't beat a big bore 2T in the sand--too much fun :cool:

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
The 85's were part of the short stroke era or 'power years' (84-86). When running properly they are a rocket.

As far as dirtbikes go you can't beat a big bore 2T in the sand--too much fun :cool:

Reading your rebuild thread is what got me thinking about this bike. I've always loved the 80s Hondas, and I think it would be a riot to have the king in the stable. If I go with it, I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain for ideas.