1990 4runner motor swap ideas

airmanwilliams

I am picking up a 1990 4runner this week in a trade and the motor does not run. With twins due next month it is hard to fit 2 car seats and a booster in our sidekicks so I am debating selling my sidekick to fund a motor swap.

What ideas do you guys have for motor swaps for this 1990 auto trans 4runner?

8ddaf7bc2a44061032dd7687f95238d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Honestly I would looks at replacing what it's got in it for the same thing. Unless it's a common very well documented swap it's going to be a pain. I've heard if it's a 3.0 swap in a newer 3.4 or if it's the 2.4 do the 2.7 however you may want to talk to Kevin on the gotchas with a swap. I think he's about 2 years in on his now...

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
If it's a 22RE, rebuild it and swap in a manual trans and be done. If it's a 3VZE, rebuild it and swap in a manual trans and a set of Thorley headers and be done. Both motors are fairly gutless but get a lot peppier with a manual trans instead of the garbage A340. I honestly wouldn't go through the hassle of a motor swap for a truck that's fated to be a commuter/baby hauler anyway, those motors are plenty strong enough for that sort of stuff.

If you're going to swap anyway, please make sure you have a running donor to start from. Pretty much all the difficulties I've had with my project have come from 1) it's my first motor swap and b) I didn't start with a good donor.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Those 2nd gen 4runner are a dime a dozen. I would find one with a running motor and use this as a parts vehicle.

airmanwilliams

Yes it is the 3.0 with an auto trans. I am getting a steal on it in a trade which is why I am researching this instead of getting runner to start with.

I don't even go anywhere but 5 mile and back country exploring so I have thought of a 2nd gen 4runner with a mild 2.5" lift

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Yes it is the 3.0 with an auto trans. I am getting a steal on it in a trade which is why I am researching this instead of getting runner to start with.

I don't even go anywhere but 5 mile and back country exploring so I have thought of a 2nd gen 4runner with a mild 2.5" lift

You will be more money into a non reliable motor swap then to buy a good running 2nd gen 4runner. I am usually not a naysayer but this is truth. You can buy a 3rd gen 4runner with a 3.4 cheaper than you can swap on into a 2nd gen. With the 3rd gen 4runner you get better suspension too.

I hate to say it but a 2nd gen 3.0 auto 4runner is one of the least desirable toyotas ever made. I would not take that blown motor 4runner for free. I am being honest and not trying to be rude or critical.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You will be more money into a non reliable motor swap then to buy a good running 2nd gen 4runner. I am usually not a naysayer but this is truth. You can buy a 3rd gen 4runner with a 3.4 cheaper than you can swap on into a 2nd gen. With the 3rd gen 4runner you get better suspension too.

I hate to say it but a 2nd gen 3.0 auto 4runner is one of the least desirable toyotas ever made. I would not take that blown motor 4runner for free. I am being honest and not trying to be rude or critical.

x2!!

I had a friend that bought one because it was a 'deal'... he did a lot of work and in the end, it was unreliable and eventually broke down to the point that he sold it for 1/3 of what he paid. The Toyota 3.0 engine is one of the biggest turds Toyota ever turned out. You're better off with another vehicle, the 3rd Gen 4Runner with a factory 3.4l V6 will be 10x the vehicle and they're pretty cheap now a days.

airmanwilliams

Not exactly sure. It has apparently 80k on a rebuilt motor and auto trams but the timing cover is off and I'm told the fan had issues and went into the radiator.

sixstringsteve

x2 on what everyone else has said. What about those suzuk xl7s? Or a minivan? Or an awd Chevy Astro. All the cool kids are driving vans these days. ;)

di-chevy_astro_lift_kit-8379668902504d5c50c510daa4566189.jpg

Last edited:

ricsrx

dont feel to bad about picking that up, Hunter and i just brought one home today.......... runs and the PO thought the auto trans was bad but its the t case