1996 Tahoe slipping problem

skahtul

So I have a 1996 Tahoe with a set of 33" Pro-Comp Xterains. I took it out to little moab for the first time today to see how it went off road (I have also owned and modified a 1972 Blazer and 1987 Chev half ton) and boy was I disipointed. Something must be wrong and maybe some here has an idea. When I am using 4 low to come down or up a steep hill the rear end "slips". Now this is not a losing traction type of slip. This is a very strange slip in that the rear end (especially when comming down a hill) seems to "hop" almost as though you were pumping the brakes or something? I don't know if I can explain it better then that. Could a bad chain in the T-case cause this? Almost seems like they are out of sync? I remember in my 87 chev being able to crawl down these same hills (with the same tires) in first gear in 4 low with no problems. Several times the rear of the truck wants to slide out from under me and I have to shift up and give it some gas. Is the Tahoe just junk off road? THANKS!

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Does the Tahoe have ABS brakes? Many vehicles with ABS have rear-only systems. The ABS may be engaging as you're decending steep hills, I could see how you'd get the chatter from the tires & how the rear would slide around, if that's the case. Most newer 4x4's have ABS systems that disengage when you put it in 4 low. '96 might be a bit too old for something like that.

Did the pedal feel funny or did you hear any motorized noises coming from under the hood when it was happening?

skahtul

Greg said:
Does the Tahoe have ABS brakes?

Did the pedal feel funny or did you hear any motorized noises coming from under the hood when it was happening?

It has ABS (and my understanding was that it was for all 4 wheels, but it may only be the front). But this is happening when I am just 'rolling' down the hill and not pushing on the brake. I certainly know what the ABS system feels like when it does engage. I have only had the ABS system engage off road when I was in 4 HI and going about 15 MPH or so. I certainly know what you mean about the strange noise that the ABS makes when it is activated, and there is none of that.

Last edited:

78mitsu

Does your tahoe have automatic ride control or traction control, some of the tahos were equipped with tc that interfaced with the ABS system essentially it decided which tire was slipping and applied brake pressure to that tire, it uses the ABS pump, but the petal doesn't vibrate because it isn't being applied, it's most noticable in 4wl because of the slow speeds, but if you have the "auto" button and rear disks on your taho, it probabbly has tc.

skahtul

78mitsu said:
Does your tahoe have automatic ride control or traction control, some of the tahos were equipped with tc that interfaced with the ABS system essentially it decided which tire was slipping and applied brake pressure to that tire, it uses the ABS pump, but the petal doesn't vibrate because it isn't being applied, it's most noticable in 4wl because of the slow speeds, but if you have the "auto" button and rear disks on your taho, it probabbly has tc.

Neither, no rear disk and there are no buttons (this still has the 'manual' shifter in the floor).

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
its a chevy.. maybe thats the problem... lol just kidding... you might look at the gear ratios front and rear... it almost sounds like they are different ratios and your rear is hopping to catch up.... either that or your tires are different sizes...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
For one I don't think anything (like the t-case chain) is broken or you'd know it. And two It might be something as simple as weight transfer :confused:. Assuming its four door (?) there is a lot of weight being pulled down on it. From what I've noticed with my X-terrains (great tires) the large lugs don't grip in some terrain as well as others. Mabey the weight is simply overpowering the traction? I would have a buddy get out and watch what is happening every time you decend an obstacle then turn around and try to climb back up the obstacle......I'll bet that your rig starts hoping/bouncing. Good Luck! Oh, and I don't think that ANY 4x4 is considered JUNK offroad, It's all in driving style, and what you plan on doing with it ;)

skahtul

Rot Box said:
For one I don't think anything (like the t-case chain) is broken or you'd know it. And two It might be something as simple as weight transfer :confused:. Assuming its four door (?) there is a lot of weight being pulled down on it. From what I've noticed with my X-terrains (great tires) the large lugs don't grip in some terrain as well as others. Mabey the weight is simply overpowering the traction? I would have a buddy get out and watch what is happening every time you decend an obstacle then turn around and try to climb back up the obstacle......I'll bet that your rig starts hoping/bouncing. Good Luck! Oh, and I don't think that ANY 4x4 is considered JUNK offroad, It's all in driving style, and what you plan on doing with it ;)

It is a four door. The strange thing is (and I do realize that these are VERY different vehicles) is that I have gone up and down these exact same hills with my 1987 half ton which has the exact same tires. I figure that the pickup would slide worse then the Tahoe since it has almost no weight in the back? But who knows. You are correct about the bouncing. When I go down a hill where I get the strange hop, I also have a little more trouble going up those. Maybe my pickup was just long enough to provide better tractiong. It must just be a weight transfer problem. I am going to have to go and play around some more.

BTW, gear ratios check out ok.

Also for anyone reading this, I have been told that replacing the T-Case chain at around a 100K (which is just what I have) is a good idea? Any truth to that?

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
If your owners manual says it (chain) needs to be changed than it would be best to do as it says, but most Tahoes aren't in 4wd enough to even allow it to wear out :confused: My best advise: Keep the fluid clean (trans/t-case, ect....) and learn your Tahoes capabilities. If you decide that this is definatly your vehicle of choice for wheelin then mabey add a rear locker to help with traction. There are thousands of aftermarket items for the Tahoes to aid you offroad, and improve your vehicles performance so you really can't go wrong. Good Luck :D