2010 KING OF THE HAMMERS: The ultimate spectators seat PART III the ending

dustybronco

www.sextonoffroad.com
If you haven't read Part I or Part II please do at the links below. Here is the rest of the story.

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/...719#post671719

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=72734

We hit Resolution with a fever. We were tired of traveling and twice we had miss read course markers and gotten off course. While neither time cost us very much it was irritating to miss read the markers. The GPS download was a savior. At the top of Resolution Fred decided he needed a break and with little or no warning he flipped on the passenger side. Carl and I looked surprised at each other being we were both looking ahead to the next steep drop neither of us knew what happened. Carl put it in reverse and quietly Fred rolled back on all four. Luckily we were lined up for the next drop and fell down the rest of Resolution with no incident. Back door was next on the list. Since we had climbed it successfully during LCQ we had no trouble slipping down the waterfall and out of the canyon. There was a little course confusion again trying to get back into main camp, and after Roger Lovell passed us again we followed him in a couple 360’s to the pit.

The pit crew was ready again and filled up the fuel tank and we received a couple Three Musketeer bars from Mike Klemson’s pit crew. We knew Mike dropped out of the race at race mile 40 and his crew was happily cheering us on. The entire pit area was full of well wishers that showed support as we drove by. I don’t think Roger Lovell pitted but we caught him at Race mile 105 and we thought he was out for sure this time. We passed Roger and moved onto “Chocolate Thunder”. This was a rock section I didn’t even know existed.

Chocolate Thunder did not look to difficult but as we headed into the first obstacle Carl slid off one rock and wedged the front passenger under another. With the drivers two wheels in the air the vehicle would neither go forward nor back and I jumped out again. Assessing the difficulty I thought it would be best to winch out. Grabbing the winch from the back I heaved it to the front and hooked it up. I then grabbed the line and ran up trail 100 feet and hooked it up to a rock. With the front differential wedge against one rock and the rear differential against another it was a dead load pull that over came the power of the rope. Snap! Ok, time to reassess. Telling Carl to steer hard driver I picked up a 60 pound boulder and shoved it in between the passenger tire and a rock. “Steer hard Passenger”, I said and saw one inch of movement. “Hard driver” and I grabbed another big boulder. Stuffing it in, we moved another inch. One more 60 pound boulder to go. Now “gun it” I shouted and Fred popped out. Lining up again I spotted Carl up and with the cheers of the crowd we headed up “Chocolate Thunder”. At the top there was a 3 foot ledge that became our Demise. I was still out of the vehicle and watched as the small ledge, like many of hundreds of others we had climbed today, broke the front axle. What a pisser, we made it through the entire desert and had only a few rock trails left. Mile Marker 110 was the final course marker we passed and it was a short limp back to camp. We took it slow and sunk into the suspension seats not wanting to end the day.

We had made it up to 20th place when we broke but we did not finish. Next time we will not let the hammers beat us and will be finishing the race. Thanks to every one who helped us out during the race and all of our families that provide continual support through out the year. A special thanks goes to our pit crew, Danny, Mark, Wes, Aaron, Joe, Steve, Mike, Kevin, Abby and Stubby Nate.

tn_the%20camp%20saturday.JPG
tn_camp%20sunday.JPG
tn_camp%20crowded%202.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Best KOH report ever! Thanks for taking the time to write the entire thing out, it really gave those that couldn't make it a perspective we had missed out on. Sorry about the breakage & roll, we heard you guys were doing well as the race progressed, it would have been fun to see you finish strong and place high.

I love how you're still running a vehicle that looks like an EB, reminds me of some good times with Chris Holley and his EB. :cool:

OLD FRED at KOH 2010

Best KOH report ever! Thanks for taking the time to write the entire thing out, it really gave those that couldn't make it a perspective we had missed out on. Sorry about the breakage & roll, we heard you guys were doing well as the race progressed, it would have been fun to see you finish strong and place high. :cool:
Agreed,... a GREAT write up and a LOT of time put into it. Me and my friends from "Rebel Chapter 4x4" were camped right next to the begining of the race course right out side of base camp Hammer Town. So over the time of three days we seen the bronco named "FRED" many times. Me and our gang of rebels were on Jack hammer, Sledge Hammer and back door throughout the day of the race and being there was easy for me being as how the Hammers are only 45 minutes from my home. And as a matter of fact one of the clubs i'm in Victor Valley 4 Wheelers built the Hammer trails. DUSTY BRONCO, thank you for spending the time to give us such a great and in depth write up from a competitors view. Like any great story there are things that happen good and bad both. Like the 45 minute drive at night up bessimer mine road instead of eleven more miles up to Boone road, or getting stuck out in the mud (he was not the only one) at means lake bed or breaking an axle which brought them the dreaded DNF. On the great side of the story, they came here from Utah to take a chance on the LCQ last chance qualifier event and got in, raced in an event most rockers dream of and can always tell there kids and grand kids when they are older...i RACED IN KING OF THE HAMMERS 2010. My buddy who is a big Bronco fan took pictures of every bronco at the event so being as how we seen Fred many times I knew we had a picture. Good job guy's,.. there is next year to do it again and once again thanks for such a great write up....MATT

4465FRED.jpg

Last edited:

Hunt

Nice write up and congratulation on the better luck than us. We broke trying to push you back over after you flopped it in front of us. :rolleyes:

Sincerely
Team El Jerko

dustybronco

www.sextonoffroad.com
Nice write up and congratulation on the better luck than us. We broke trying to push you back over after you flopped it in front of us. :rolleyes:

Sincerely
Team El Jerko

The crowd would have flipped out if you had been able to push Fred back on his wheels. Needless to say there are some pretty cool burnouts on the hood and roof. I hope you had as much fun as we did.

tn_DSCF0695.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Dusty, Carl congrats on making it as far as you did! I'm super stoked for you guys! We'll see ya at the DATC show if you make it up. If not- at Delta.

Carl I'll have to come up to the house and say hi! Killer story Dusty! thanks for taking time to type it up.

Last edited:

TEAM FRED

Sincerely
Team El Jerko

Thanks for trying. Sorry to here about the axle. I would not wish that on anyone.
Glad to see that you all made it home safe. See you next year.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
found a vid with you guys in the corner
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Abu_wDKHSE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Abu_wDKHSE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]